[22]

A girl leaves in a hurry

Caterina
__________
My skin felt raw whenever I emerged my head from underneath the bath water. I had spent the entire last hour scrubbing at every crevice with a pumice stone to ensure any trace of Billy Kitchen's brain matter was gone.

It was nearing an ungodly hour by the time I finally exited the bathtub to get ready for bed. I shrugged on a robe and padded through the empty halls, reminding myself that I would no longer dwell in this cottage for much longer.

A small part of me would feel sorrow for when I did leave, but the majority of me wouldn't. I needed to feel the sun on my skin, the heat beneath my toes. I didn't know how much longer I could take the miserable weather.

Of course I would miss England's simplicity, along with its people. For it offered me sanctuary when Chicago didn't. And for that, I would always be grateful. But I knew in my heart that I needed to be with my family for when the next chapter of my life began. For when I would become a mother. And the thought of not having my family by my side when that time came, terrified me.

I had barely made it to my bedroom when the phone rang. I cursed under my breath and sped in its direction, hastily bringing it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Rina? Are you all right?"

It was Ada.

"I take it that you heard of what happened to Arthur." I replied bitterly, remembering Alfred's betrayal.

"And you, crazy girl!" She exclaimed, "A copper issued a report on a woman leaving the scene covered in blood. I reckoned that was you."

I pursed my lips. Ada knew me better than I knew myself, it seemed.

"Ah, yes. That was me, sorry. I was a bit stunned after what happened, and all I wanted to do was get home and into a hot bath." I admitted sheepishly.

A weary sigh could be heard on the other line.

"It's all right I understand." Ada replied, "Listen, how do you feel about making a trip to Sutton tomorrow evening? The coppers took Michael as well and I thought it'd be best if we keep Pol company."

I nodded despite the fact she couldn't see me and agreed. During hard times like these, we all needed to be able to lean on one another. So we said our goodbyes and hung up the phone.

For a while I leaned against the wallpaper, wondering how Pol must've felt seeing her boy being hauled off to prison. Michael was a good man, and it pained me to imagine him spending his night in a prison surrounded by Sabini's men.