[23]

A girl attends a sleepover

Caterina
________
Ada opened the door after the second knock.

When I first arrived at Pol's house I was in awe at how lovely her abode was. With lots of windows and white paneling on the second story and russet-colored bricks on the first. The lush green of the lawn was also neatly trimmed, and I imagined just how much the Shelby's paid the gardener each week. Too much, probably.

"Rina." Ada greeted, pushing the door open.

I offered a smile. "That's me."

To my surprise, Ada wrapped me in her arms in a firm embrace. I felt her inhale from the crook of my neck.

"I'm so glad to see you, Rina." She breathed.

Ada lifted her head far enough from my shoulder that I saw her Shelby blue eyes filled with tears. She broke my heart.

"Ada, my love." I hushed, "What's the matter?"

She shook her head, sending a stray chunk of dark hair on the wrong side of her face. I pushed it back.

"It's Aunt Pol. She's a mess." Ada sobbed. "I don't know what to say to her! That woman keeps everything bottled up even though there are people in her life willing to share her burdens with her."

There was a frustrated gasp for air as Ada finished her sentence. I pursed my lips in understanding, grabbing a hold of her clammy hands.

"Polly is a strong woman, Ada. There's nothing in this life that she cannot handle. If she's not telling you every detail it is probably because she can barely comprehend them herself."

Ada nodded, absorbing each word as if it were sunlight.

"Alright, alright." She agreed.

But there was something about her gaze that still seemed troubled, and before I could ask her why, she placed a hand on my extended belly.

Ada gasped, and I instinctively took a step back.

"You're with child and you didn't tell me?" She exclaimed, rather hurt.

I was completely taken back. It seemed in my haste to get here that I had forgotten entirely of my pregnancy being a secret. I usually told Ada everything when it happened, and I guess it must've just slipped my mind.

"Ada, I've been meaning to tell you but with everything going on I forgot." I pleaded.

"Forgot? You bloody forgot that there's a whole baby growing inside you and neglected to mention it to your dearest friend?" She said.