- Chapter 6: Lex's and Evira's Duet -

– Chapter 6 –

Evira

Lex's and Evira's Duet

          Alec was much taller than her, and his legs were a lot longer, and it took a while for her to catch up. He was already heading towards his car when she finally caught up. “Go away.”                  

          “I need your help, Alec,” she stated solemnly.

          “What help?” he asked coldly. “You seem to be doing just fine.”

          “Out of all the songs I’ve listened to of your band, Fahrenheit was my favorite.” Alec looked back, looking annoyed.

          “You don’t need to lie to me to make me like you.”

          She looked shocked. “I’m not.” He didn’t look like he believed it. “Fine.” She closed her eyes and began to sing, “Through the doors of the furnace, into the arms of the fire. Rising fahrenheit, in depth, in heat.” She was drawing quite a crowd with her singing.

          “Shut up already,” he hissed. “I get it.”

          She stopped singing mid-word and gave him a stern look. “If you want me to leave, I will. I’m helping you guys out because you asked for it.”

          “I didn’t ask you to do anything!”

          Momentarily, Alec’s form shook and he was Evan. Within the next second, he was back to Alec. The words had been so reminiscent of him that she had seen Evan through him. She rubbed her eyes, trying to rid the picture of Evan. He wasn’t there, and she shouldn’t be seeing him there. “Then I’ll just get my stuff and leave.”

          She turned, still rubbing her eyes, when Alec grabbed her arm. She gave a small scream and jerked away. From this action, she pitched forward and was about to fall on her face onto the pavement when steady hands caught her.

          “Look, I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

          “I’m not crying!” She pulled her hands away from her eyes. “I just…” Evan had disappeared, and Alec was there, looking concerned. “Look, I’m sorry for whatever I’ve done to make you mad.”

          He helped her stand up. Bunching his fists into his pockets, Alec looked sheepish. “It’s like Aline said. I’m being a little kid,” he admitted. “And that isn’t fair to you.”

          “Enough with the chit-chat!” shouted Lex. They both turned. “We don’t have the time! Our studio is on the line!”

          “Right. We should go in.” Evira rubbed the back of her neck. “I’m sorry I stole your limelight.”

          “Travis was right. It is elementary.” Alec shrugged. “I’m just being stupid is all.”

          “No,” she said pointedly. “You’re being protective of your song. I understand that.” She gave him an uncertain smile. “But I hope you understand that I’m not here to steal it. Or your spot.” Evira ran over to Lex and pushed him inside. “Aren’t you the keyboardist? You need to help them out!”

          “All right, all right, I’m going,” Lex grumbled. “I’m the one who came here to get you two.”

          Evira turned. “C’mon, Alec! We don’t have a lot of time!”