- Chapter 8: Reminders of the Past -

– Chapter 8 –

Evira

“Easy”

          “I don’t want it,” Evira said flatly, her eyes averted.

          Alec looked surprised, his hands holding the padded envelope. “But why not?”

          For the first time since dealing with Alec, Evira grew angry. Her eyes narrowed into slits and her fists clenched. “Haven’t you been listening to what I’ve been saying? I enjoy writing music, I enjoy singing. If you take that away by trying to pay me off, then this isn’t fun anymore.”

          Alec scratched his head. “How else could we repay you?” He looked down at the envelope in his hand and gave her a crooked smile. “We wouldn’t have won without your help.”

          She shook her head. “This is insulting, really.” Her tone was neutral, but her eyes were twinkling. “Giving me money for something I love doing…”

          “Why are you pursuing this career then?” He folded up the envelope and put it into his coat pocket. “If you make it, you can make a lot of money. Isn’t that… ruining your fun?”

          Evira carefully considered this. “Yes… and no. Theoretically, it should, seeing as how I don’t want to take payment for doing what I like. But I have something to repay to Evan. And he said that the only way I can do that is by sharing my, ah, gift with the rest of the world.” Her eyes were a somber shade of grey. “But I don’t consider gaining fame and getting paid to do this my number one priority, so I still have fun with it.”

          Alec shook his head in amazement. “You’re lucky. It comes that easily for you…” He stared wistfully up at the sky. “If only…” He realized that Evira was staring at him. “What?”

          “’It comes easily for you’?” she quoted back, her eyes suddenly bright and fierce. “How would you know? You don’t even know me! You can’t say anything about me. How would you know what I’ve been through? Comes easily? You don’t know how hard I’ve worked to get here.” She shook her head. “But of course, someone as unsteady as you wouldn’t know about commitment, would you?” She gazed at the sidewalk, her eyes glazing over.

          “Evira, I—“

          “Save it.” Even though the words were spoken with bitterness and kept-back anger, the expression on her face and the look in her eyes were those of fear. She backed away and almost stumbled. Alec moved forward automatically to help her up, but she jerked out of his reach. “Don’t touch me!”

          Alec looked hurt.

          “I’m sorry,” she murmured, putting a hand over her hammering heart. “You just… startled me, is all.”

          “Are you okay?”

          “Yeah, I’m fine.” She looked him in the eye. “Look, I’m sorry I said those things. It wasn’t right of me, and I shouldn’t be… shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it.”

          But Alec was shaking his head. “No, you’re right. Of course you are. I shouldn’t have assumed…”

          “Let’s drop it,” she suggested, her words carefully guarded. “Okay?” Alec nodded. “Let’s go back inside. The others should be waiting for us.” Evira walked close to Alec, but not close enough for them to accidently touch. Five years, she thought. It’s been five years, and I’m still like this. She felt Alec’s occasional gaze on her; perhaps he was worried she might start off on him again. “How did Instinct come to be?” she asked, trying to be nonchalant.