- Chapter 12: Apology -

– Chapter 12 –

Apology

      “Do you want to talk about it?”

      Evira didn’t respond, choosing instead to stare into her notebook as if it would talk to her. She knew Ellen was concerned for her safety, especially after she had come in at nearly seven in the evening. She had stumbled around, trying to figure out what to do when she finally managed to hail a cab and find her way back to the hotel. She stared at the digital clock next to her. It read 7:14 PM.

      Immediately from looking at Ellen’s expression she knew Lex—or someone—had gotten in contact with her. Ellen would know it had something to do with Evan. Ellen was the only one Evan had come into contact with; she had set all of this up, and it was thanks to her that she was in L.A. in the first place.

      “Sorry,” she said softly. “I’m going to sleep now, is that okay?”

      The door closed gently and Evira buried her face into her pillow, feeling terrible.

      She wanted to know what Evan had done but there was no way to know. She wasn’t sure if Evan had confronted Lex, or someone else. All she remembered was Lex grabbing her a bit too roughly and then running away. At what point had Evan intervened?

      There was a soft knock on the door. “Evira, phone call for you.”

      Evira didn’t answer.

      “Sorry, she’s resting up, Lex,” she heard Ellen say into the receiver. “Yes, she’ll be there tomorrow, don’t worry. Alright, see you tomorrow. Bye.”

      Evira turned onto her back and stared into the ceiling. She knew Evan was near. He never truly left her side; he remained in her consciousness, but didn’t take control, as she’d asked. Or he hadn’t until today.

      If Evan had thought she was in danger, he wouldn’t have thought twice. It was all her fault. She had overreacted. Lex was sweet, not like the senior she had once known. She didn’t know him well enough, but she was sure he wouldn’t do anything. But in that one moment, she had been reminded of what the other Evan had done.

      I’m sorry, she thought helplessly. It’s all my fault, Evan. I’m still so weak after what happened. Her thoughts flickered to the senior again, what he had done to her. She hiccupped and lapsed into tears, burying herself into the pillow.

      The world blackened.

      Evira blinked, having lost herself for a moment. Her eyes flickered to the clock, wondering what had happened. It now read 7:46. She sat up, wondering if Evan had taken over once more. She didn’t know why. There was no danger here. Ellen was in the next room.

      Her fingers found the notebook, and it was open to a clean page. A pencil was laid across it, and at the top of the page was a smiley face. Her eyes widened. Evan must have left something for her.

      She eagerly picked up the notebook and scanned it. Sure enough, Evan’s spidery handwriting filled the page.

      Evira, I’m sorry for the fright. It must have been disorientating, and I apologize. However, I am not sorry I intervened earlier today. You might trust this boy, but I will never trust anyone other than you. I worry about you. Sometimes you are too trusting, and if you are... hurt by someone again, I don’t think I can just stay still. Don’t be sorry. Don’t ever be sorry about anything.

      You are strong, Evira, but you don’t have to pretend to have strength you do not possess. Especially in front of me. You might wear a brave face, but I know what you feel. I feel what you feel. The fright you felt from that boy was real. It wasn’t directed at him, but your emotions don’t lie. The boy from back then scarred you. And I will continue to protect you until those wounds are no longer visible.