- Chapter 7: One, Two, Three, Sing! -

- Chapter 7 –

Lex

One, Two, Three, Sing!

          “Whew, I’m nervous.”

          Lex was sweating and his face was getting hot. His palms were clammy and trembling. The enormity of what he was about to do was getting to him. He hadn't sung in public for over five years. He was afraid of the same mistakes that he had made then. Evira's calm and relaxed disposition not only put him as ease, but allowed his heart to slow down.

          “It’s different when it’s in front of people, isn’t it?” She grinned. “Different than in the studio?”

          They had demonstrated the duet in front of the rest of the band, and it had been an instant hit. Even Alec had grudgingly agreed that it would work well that night. With the prospect of winning, they had kept practicing until they had to leave to get ready. Evira didn’t have anything other than the tourist shirt, so Aline had given her an outfit to wear. She had refused the makeup, however.

          Travis had called, giving them the update on his mother. She was fine, and recovering. The surgery had been a success, and even though he wouldn’t be there in person, he was there with them in spirit.

          “Cheesy guy,” Akin had said.

          “Don’t worry about us,” Aline had replied. “We’re going to do just fine.”

          “If you find it hard to look into the audience, look at me,” she was saying. “It’s nice to have a familiar face, right?”

          He nodded, feeling butterflies in his stomach. “It’s way different than just playing the keyboard. Singing… it’s so much more personal.” The popular café was much more crowded than usual, no doubt because of the competition tonight. He could see Lo’s band getting ready. Lo was the lead singer and the only girl in their group. He gulped. “If we lose…”

          “If you think we’ll lose, then we’ll lose,” Evira told him. “Always keep your goal in sight.”

          “Is that one of his, too? Evan’s sayings?” There was a note of slight bitterness in his voice, and wonderment. Who exactly was this guy she spoke so fondly and greatly of?

          “Yeah.” Evira fished out her hat and put it on her head. It went well with the outfit. She nudged him. “C’mon, let’s go find our seats.” Lex and Evira made their way to the rest of the band. They looked nervous, but excited.

          “I honestly think this is the best song we’ve had for a while!” Aline exclaimed enthusiastically. “Look, they’re going up.” Lo’s band took the stage.

         A girl with a shock of red and pink hair took the microphone. “We will be singing Animalistic,” she said shortly, and then signaled to her band mates. They started an upbeat tune, but Evira saw that none of them really liked it.

          She made a clicking sound with her tongue disapprovingly. “This isn’t going to go well.”

          Lex looked at her. “I thought you said—“

          “Not us,” she told him impatiently. “Them.”

          “You’re right. Lo looks like a total—“

          “Look at the others’ faces!” Lex followed her gaze. “They aren’t having fun with the music! Unless you really love a piece of music, and you’ve made it… made it a piece of yourself, you can’t truly like it! They’re playing it well. They haven’t made mistake yet, but look at their faces, and wonder if they’re having fun.”