Chapter 5

Decided to post before I headed out of town this week and next week. So enjoy! 

They allowed Sans some time to gather his things as well as Papyrus to deal with the dead humans. They were buried on Sans property...to his irritation. Sometimes he wished they would simply dust like monsters did when killed. It was messy—this having to deal with a corpse. It was too late to head back to their camp so they stayed with Sans—cramped in the small shack.

Ara and the human Sans pummeled were sitting on the couch inside while Papyrus and Sans sat outside where it was safer for them to be seen by some lone monster out for a late walk. It was silent between them as Sans took a heavy drag from the cigarette.

"So I guess it would be pointless to ask you what you have been up to." Sans spoke up to his younger brother who sat on the step below him. Staring at the back of his head.

"Maybe—so what have you been up to?" Papyrus didn't looked towards him...his gaze was firmly planted on the tree line before him.

"Think you can see that—I have been up to a whole lot of nothing...sitting by, getting fat." Sans mumbled the last part and Papyrus hearing the helpless tone finally turned and gave him his attention.

"Why—I mean you were the coolest oldest brother, you were my hero—so why did you give up?" the question that had been haunting Papyrus for year was finally out in the open—he wondered if he had fired his weapon too soon...would Sans reject him again?

"I don't know Pap—I just couldn't get behind it. I was so frickin angry—I wanted the humans to suffer." Having to say it aloud Sans felt like scum...he wanted people to suffer. This wasn't him...was it?

"Even Ara—and her siblings—what about Rose—" Pap spoke softly eyes glowing orange in the darkness—searching out the lone blue one.

"Well if you want to split hairs—you killed Rose but Ara pulled the trigger." He grunted rubbing his head with his open palm cigarette poking between two fingers. The wispy smoke that rose from the burning tip reminded Papyrus of ghosts—a lot of personal demons he tried to keep at bay. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize—I am far from clean on any of this." He sighed leaning back to glance up at the stars. "None of us are clean anymore. But I do want your help in all of this..."

"Pap how long have you been fighting and how close have you even gotten to Gaster?"

Papyrus didn't have to think about it—he knew—nowhere close to getting to his father...all he could do was be a thorn in his father's side as he spent his waking hours burning labs and sending hybrids to their death... while Gaster was locked away creating more and more horrific creations and ways to kill humans...hell even use them as raw materials.

"I am a thorn in his side and nothing more—I can't get a real monster force to back me...so I am left with desperate humans—and those who are worse than monsters...ranging from every dad deed you can imagine. Were un-organized and disheartened. We lose men and women every day—the blasters have stopped killing and are abducting children. These hunters are doing the dirty work now and he is making them take on our faces..."

"So with me joining the band of merry malcontents...what will that do for you—I hardly can see where my abilities will tip the scale."

"Maybe not—but the girl..."

"Look might as well tell you this now...because I am not going to con family—Calibri has no real magical ability—its blows actually." He snorted. " she can't even summon a simple bone attack."

Papyrus seemed to wilt. "I didn't consider that..."

"Sorry to break it to you but she is the worst magic user I have seen."

"Not even with a teacher—I can't believe she is untrainable." He shook his head standing up. "You tutored me when father said I was worthless..."

He smiled. "I had to—you were bawling like a baby—I hated to see you upset."

"Train her—it's possible her magic is weak because she is "young" she has had no training—no mind warping."

"Well I don't work in the warping department but I said I would keep an eye on her. I can try but I can't guarantee over night results...

~*~*~*~

"Sir we lost another laboratory today—all specimens were destroyed."

"Pity...was it the resistance again?"

"Of course sir—"

"They have been a thorn in my side for too long. Send what hunters we can spare into all the known contact areas they have struck and have them do a clean sweep....I want no man, woman, or child left breathing. These vermin are getting out of hand."

"Yes sir."

"Y—you will never get away with this." A weakened voice spoke out in the darkness of his chambers. Chained to the wall was Toriel his blasters had delivered her and Ara's siblings to him so long ago...he kept Toriel alive as a pet of sorts. The children...well they were the reason the hunters existed a fragment of their soul lived in every hunter that was out there slaughtering the human race. What better instrument of destruction than the very representation of the "hope for the future" itself?

He didn't answer Toriel but gave her that lopsided grim that was utterly disturbing for all present. He left the room and left her alone in the darkness and with her guilt and failures as a "parent"...

~*~*~*~

Calibri didn't know why she was drawn towards this woman who called herself Ara...it was an unusual name but Cali thought she had heard it before. She had this feeling like the one she had before that she wasn't a monster—but now is was that she somehow knew this woman...that was impossible she woke up from a tank hours ago... she couldn't shake the feeling even though she tried to logic it away—

"So Ara—since I'm going to help you—can I ask you one thing?"

"Sure?" Ara turned away from the man who had been glaring for the last half hour at her.

"How are Hunters made?"

"What they didn't tell you?" the man barked.

"N—no maybe they would have if they had more time... I was drained from my tank and shoved in a van."

"Well—from what our scientist tell us they take a humans soul and tear it from the body to be altered and placed in a monster body—which they create from the humans body and something else...we don't really know just yet."

"So that means I really am a human."

"WAS—was a human." Ara corrected. "Sweetie you are a walking, talking skeleton... humans can't do that."

"That doesn't change what I feel in here." she placed her hand on her chest."

"Great we managed to get a broken hunter that thinks it's a human." The man rolled his eyes leaning back into the couch.

Calibri sighed getting up from her seat on the floor. "I better check on Sans—make sure they are getting along."

Ara watched her go. There was something really odd about this skeleton and familiar at the same time.

hope you enjoyed and see you soon, stay tuned readers more to come. :)