social media & self-worth

Social media—we all have it

Social media—we all have it. And I don't just mean Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I'm talking any kind of website or application that enables us to create, share, or participate in content through social networking. So yes, you're using it this very second.

With these certain applications, we are exposed to each other's opinions, memories, and lives. And although this is a huge advantage, it is also the core of a problem that many of our youth struggle with today.

 And although this is a huge advantage, it is also the core of a problem that many of our youth struggle with today

Fancy dinners, expensive cars, endless friends, etcetera, etcetera. It is so easy to stop scrolling and just think wow. There isn't anything wrong with admiring someone else's life. But when it reaches the point of covetousness, that's where you're wrong.

Of course, we're all different. God's shaped us into unique people with unique views and differences. You may not struggle with this specific topic, but there are many others who do, some of whom you may know.

So, how do we deal with self-worth?

1. Social Media Is Not Real Life

Firstly, you need to realise that everything you see on social media are only the 'good' parts of other people's lives. That is just one snapshot of what the bigger picture actually looks like.

So don't get caught up in the whole 'their life is perfect' thing. And remember: every picture is exposed to the ability of being edited to utter perfection. It is not real life.

2. Don't Compare

Secondly, the reason for your struggle is that you're comparing your circumstances to someone else's.

It may seem innocent, right? You're just really fond of their lifestyle, or the family they have, or the boyfriend they love. But if it's causing you to compare your worth, you are more than just 'fond' of them. You're coveting.