is secular music wrong?

Many Christians (especially teenagers) struggle with the issue of secular music

Many Christians (especially teenagers) struggle with the issue of secular music. For those of you who aren't sure of what this is, it's just a name that categorises all non-Christian music.

By now you may have noticed that secular music is extremely entertaining. The beats are catchy, vocals are stunning, and some even have rather positive messages. So there comes the question:

Firstly, the Bible does not clearly give an answer to this question

Firstly, the Bible does not clearly give an answer to this question. So we'll look at more general biblical principles to be our guide.

Determining whether or not we can listen to secular music primarily depends on the music's content, not the music itself. Take books for example. Aside from God's Word, we use books for education, news, and simply for our enjoyment. It's the same with music. Again, it all comes down to the content.

Every song has an overall message (the song's content). Finding an answer to this question has to do with the message, not the melody. Melody is just sound, there is nothing sinful about it. The real factor here are the lyrics.

1. What Does it Glorify?

Most—if not all—secular music generally absences the mention of God. That's why it's secular, right? Right. The real question here is whether or not it glorifies sin.

Our music industry loves to glamorise drugs, sex outside of marriage, cursing, and selfishness. These are all sinful, and music that glorifies such things glorifies sin. And when we listen to these songs, we're agreeing and/or approving the song's message. And that's not what God calls His children to do.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth...Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. —Romans 1:18, 32