Chapter 6 ~ Koba's Revelation

Koba had not slept very well that night. He could not stop the memories of his past from surfacing the back of his mind. He tossed and turned in his nest trying to sleep. Finally, after hours of no success, he decided to go fishing. That sometimes calmed his mind.  

Looking outside it was just turning gray before the dawn. Grabbing his spear and a small basket like net that he had made awhile back for fish he set off. He was just exiting the village when he heard his name behind him. 

Where are you headed? signed Caesar. He was surprised to find Caesar awake at this time. 

"Go fish" he replied, his voice tired from no sleep. Nodding respectfully at his king he turned and walked the familiar path to one of his favorite fishing spots.  He heard steps behind him and then Caesar seemed to catch up with him. 

"Will Go Fish too" His leader smiled at him, Grabbing a spear from a guard who was on watch. If Koba remembered the Gorilla was named Luca. He kept silent and walked on. Caesar was one of the few apes he was fond of. The others not so much. Because of his scared appearance and loner personality, the other apes stayed clear from him. He preferred it that way. 

When they had arrived at the river they moved a distance away from one another so they wouldn't scare off the fish. As they fished they stayed in comfortable silence. Something Koba appreciated about Caesar. He seemed to understand that he liked the quiet. Unlike the noisy Rocket.  He would get on Koba's nerves sometimes and it was always because the ape wouldn't shut up or keep still for very long. His son Ash, was the same way.  He respected Rocket though and saw him as a friend as well so he kept up with it mostly. 

Lost in his thought he had noticed Caesar was beating him on fish. His pile of one vs. Caesar's pile of four.  Seeing his distraction Caesar signed, What is on your mind?

Koba looked away staring at the water. He had not actually told anyone of his abuse from the humans. Maybe if he told Caesar he would hate the human he had allowed in the village? still, the thought of sharing his memories was unnerving.  A part of him did want to tell his brother of his experience with the humans. Sighing he stared at the river looking at his reflection as he spoke. Flashes of his past crossing his mind.

Cannot stop thinking of past. Humans torture and abuse Koba...for as long as he remembers.  Do not want a human to hurt family like me, signing Koba turned to look at Caesar, his brother looked at him sadly but remained silent. Sensing that he was not finished speaking.

As Caesar silently waited and listened, Koba told his King his life story.  He told him about his upbringing in the research facility. About his caregiver Mary, who taught him how to sign. How he watched his mother be beaten to death by a man named Roger.  How he was starved and abused by Tommy for a tv show. How many experiments he endured at the hands of the humans. To finally the human Jacobs saying that he was a worthless animal. Firing his favorite research assistant Amon who cared for him and leaving Koba all alone at Gen Sys.

 As he shared his story a sharp pain seemed to sear into his chest, with every memory he told, the more he felt it ease. When he was done he simply stared at his reflection worried that his leader would pity him. It was one thing he did not want. Is to be felt sorry for. He was startled out of his thoughts when he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. looking up he met Caesar's gaze His king eyes spoke of understanding but, not pity. As Koba sighed in relief Caesar drew him into an embrace.

 Softly Caesar spoke, " Do not let the hate and anger you learned from humans consume you. It is their way of still hurting you even though they no longer live." 

Koba blinked dumbfounded....Caesar was right. He had learned hate and anger from the humans. Before he was a very happy ape with his caregiver Mary and Amon also was kind to him. He was no better than Tommy taking out his anger on him and his ape friend  Milo at the time. Steve Jacobs thought of him as a mere animal and that humans were superior to apes. Did he not think the same for the apes that did not sign?