Chapter 7 ~ Joining the Apes

Koba

It had gotten quiet after awhile so decided to check on the human Koba casually looked back over his shoulder. Seeing nothing he shot up and ran to the edge of the pond. It was not like he cared about the human but, both Cornelia and Caesar had asked him to protect the human.

As he peered in the water he started when she suddenly appeared his ears hurting when she had yelled. She quickly wrapped her arms against herself trying to hide from his gaze. Koba swallowed as he took in the female before him. It was surprising to see her thin form. Her clothes hid her well. It was obvious she had gone without a few meals. Yet the baby ape seemed to be quiet healthy and well fed. She must really care about the apeling. Koba hated to admit it but, he awed by the human's sacrifice.

Now that she was clean her light brown skin glowed as her black hair flowed around her. It was just long enough to reach past her shoulders. Her eyes were a vibrant hazel, almost Amber and seemed to pierce into his gaze. A petite nose and a pouty lips caught his eye next. Her lower lip larger then the top. She was biting it at the moment sending a thrill down his spine. With that thought he quickly turned away. And headed back to check on his horse. He was angry and disgusted with himself for thinking such thoughts. As if the human was attractive. 

Caesar seemed to be the only one who was not scared of his scars. So no females had been interested. It made his days lonely. He had no one. No children like Rocket or Caesar. It was a reason why he was so fond of Blue eyes. He was like a son he never had. 

Serena

After the little awkward moment I had with One-Eye, I quickly dressed and bound my wound with the med kit. As a precaution, I took some antibiotics. I signed to calm my racing heart. I knew the ape would not hurt me like the men in my past. We were both different species but, still, it was unnerving to see someone stare at my body with such intelligent eyes.

Hobbling over to One- Eye I swung my bag over my back, I was determined to not let this bother me. I would not let my past demons haunt me. This ape had no interest in me that way so I was being ridiculous. He heard me and turned to gaze at me. It seemed as if he was feeling embarrassed too since he wouldn't meet my eyes. He quickly yet gently hauled me up to his horse and jumped on behind me. Both of us tenser than before.

While we traveled to the village I had decided to try to befriend this ape. why? Because I would need to keep on the good side of the colony. Either I made friends here or at least be useful so I would be allowed to live among them. Turning slightly I steeled myself before I spoke, Meeting his piercing green eye I said, " What is your name?" 

He seemed surprised but stayed silent for a bit. When I thought he was just going to ignore me He spoke. His voice gruff yet strong, " Koba." he said putting a fist towards his chest. I nodded and smiled at him 

" My name is Serena. Thank you for your help." I said before returning my gaze forward.

Koba

He was stunned when the human had asked his name but, much more when she actually thanked him. He stared at her back wondering what evil plans she had but, reminded himself that he had promised to give her a chance. With that thought, he relaxed or at least tried to as they sat in comfortable silence for the rest of the journey home.

Serena

Returning to the colony, we found it full of life and activity. The smell of cooking meat permeated the air. Apes of all kinds and sizes gathered around fire pits or groomed one another. When I spotted orange I looked up to see Maurice teaching a young group of apes how to sign. Kovu was part of the group and seemed to be excited to learn. I was glad we found his kind so he could be happy. He was my reason for living and when he no longer wanted me I would leave.