Prologue

New Year's Eve 1999

In the midst of the vapid banter and shallow airs of this soirée, Tyra's declaration about her new job in Milan feels like a desperate plea for authenticity amidst the sea of pretense.

"Milan? That's so passé. Russia is the new frontier," comes the snide retort, a thinly veiled attempt at one-upmanship.

"And I've just returned from France with shoots that will redefine haute couture," boasts another voice, dripping with arrogance.

As I take a sip of the lackluster champagne, its bitterness mirrors the disillusionment that pervades the room. But the facade must be maintained, even if it means feigning enjoyment at this masquerade.

Surveying the scene before me, I can't help but feel a pang of longing for something more profound. Being a supermodel has lost its luster, the glamour tarnished by the superficiality of it all. Oh, how I wish I had known before diving headlong into this world. But such is the cruel clarity of hindsight.

The choice of venue—a derelict parking structure transformed into a makeshift party space—only serves to heighten the surreal atmosphere. If only it were a genuine celebration, devoid of pretense and filled with genuine connection.

My dear friend, Miss J. Alexander, approaches with a sympathetic smile and a replenished glass. "You seem distant, my dear."

"I suppose I am, J... It's just hard to find joy in all of this," I confess, unable to muster the enthusiasm for the charade.

His gaze softens with understanding. "I've noticed a change in you, my darling. Whenever you're ready to talk about it, I'm here."

"Well, I fear I've outgrown this world. It no longer brings the fulfillment it once did; instead, it feels like a hollow facade," I admit, the weight of my disillusionment palpable.

J nods in silent solidarity. "If retiring is what you need to find peace, then you have my full support."

"Guess who I stumbled upon?" Tyra interjects, her excitement palpable as she gestures towards the edge of the rooftop.

"Heard you were in town! Over here, Purple Rain!" she calls out, earning a playful elbow from me.

His gaze meets ours with familiarity, and I can't let him slip away without a word.

In a spontaneous act, I climb over the ledge, finding footholds on the emergency ladder. As I descend, two hands reach out to steady me.

Turning to face him, I envelop him in a warm embrace. "What brings you here tonight? I thought you had a show at Paisley."

"It was pre-recorded. Wasn't in the mood for a live performance," he explains, his gaze soft and familiar as it meets mine.

"You look radiant," he murmurs, causing a blush to bloom across my cheeks.

"Thank you," I reply, a shy smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

Introducing me to his companion, he asks, "Are you enjoying the festivities?"

I grimace. "Not particularly. But your presence has made it infinitely more tolerable," I confess, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

"Hey, care to join me tonight?" he asks, a glimmer of anticipation in his eyes.

Glancing back at the party, then at him, I smile. "Lead the way."

We find ourselves at a jazz club in Times Square, where he takes the stage and commands the room with his music. In that moment, dancing amidst the melodies and laughter, I find solace in his presence. It's a fleeting moment of respite from the chaos of the world—a reminder of the beauty that exists beyond the superficiality of fame and fortune.

As the night wears on, I realize that being with him feels like coming home—a sanctuary amidst the chaos of my life. In his arms, I find the acceptance and understanding that I've been craving. And as the clock strikes midnight, I lean in and share a kiss with him, a silent acknowledgment of the connection that binds us.

In that moment, amidst the cheers and applause of the crowd, I feel a surge of emotion—a recognition of the depth of my feelings for him. It's a revelation that fills me with both exhilaration and trepidation, for I know that being with him means opening myself up to the vulnerability of love.

But as we dance together in the glow of the New Year, I realize that it's a risk worth taking. For in his embrace, I find a sense of belonging that I've never known before—a feeling that makes all the uncertainty and doubt fade away.

And so, as we move together to the rhythm of the music, I let go of my fears and allow myself to be swept away by the tide of emotions that he stirs within me. In that moment, I know that I've found something truly precious—a love that transcends the confines of time and space, a love that fills me with hope and possibility for the future.