1999

Chapter Eight

October 27th, 1982

Los Angeles

1999 Release Party

God, I love a good party! When I mentioned Y2K to Prince all those months ago, I never thought in a million years that he and his band would write a song about it. Which makes me sad because Andre is no longer part of the Revolution. Prince won't say why, just that they had creative differences. And I've tried numerous times to contact Andre with no luck.

"Oh my gosh, James, this party is so rad!" Alexa yells over the outrageous crowd. 

"I just met this guy who said he can get me jobs " She says, holding out a card

I take it from her and look it over. Shaking my head, I rip it up and throw it in the air like confetti. Leaning in, I yell, "Don't trust men like that, Alexa. He's only interested in getting you on his casting couch."

"What?" She asks, confused.

I can't take her naivety. She's still not used to the glitter that comes with being a part of this world. I'm glad I'm here to help her navigate so she's not eaten alive. The girl is book smart, but a little too nice for my liking. How can a girl from Brooklyn be so street dumb? Good thing I found her or who knows what would have happened.

"He just wants to see you naked, girl. Just let your manager deal with making you famous." I say, spotting the man of the hour. "Like him," I say, pointing in his direction. "He comes off as such a charmer, and then you peel back a few layers and see who he really is... A womanizer."

Alexa looks at him and then back at me with her face scrunched. "Prince? But he really likes you."

"No, he likes girls in tight clothes." I correct. "Don't get me wrong, we're friends, but we'll never be anything more."

The look on her face tells me she knows something I don't. " James, there's something I've been meaning to tell you... "

" What? " I ask, wanting in on the secret.

She turns so that he won't see her before saying, "The night we met... After the show, I was brought back into his dressing room. He and Andre were fighting... Over you."

"Me?" I ask, not believing it.

She nods. "There were ripped up pictures of you on the floor, and Andre tried to punch Prince, yelling something about staying away from you."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Marching right up into VIP and to Prince, I grab his arm. "I need to talk to you."

The people around him all look in different directions, even though they're listening to every word. He looks at them and then at me before nodding towards one of the exits.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask, folding my arms.

He looks at me blankly, obviously trying to figure out which secret I found out. Asshole type shit but I let it go.