...7...

So i figured out the ending and heads up u guys are gonna fuckin hate me oh man. Also idk if i said this but its gonna be a super short fic like maybe four more chapters depending on how much I write and how long it takes me to get to the ending.

Also originally this was like second person point of view but writing anything other than a oneshot like  that is a pain in the ass so i changed it but kept the (Y/n) for now sorry if ur not into that kinda thing idk im not good at 2nd pov

Also also sorry this is short n pretty boring im having writers block rip

:::::::::::::::::::::

----Rhys-----

"Watch your back, cupcake"

My eyes shoot open as the sickening laugh fades away, replaced by small breaths from the figure next to me. Running my hand through my hair I try to calm down, my heart feels as though it's pounding out of my chest. Turning and pulling (Y/n) closer I sigh. Even though his threats have been empty so far, the whole broken table incident makes me wonder what Jack's truly capable of. I fear that wasn't the last I'm going to hear from him. No matter what happens I have to protect her.

Beside me she stirrs, her eyes opening slowly. She appears confused before taking a deep breath and glancing up at me with a soft hum. "Good morning, Rhys"

"It's three in the morning" I yawn

Her arms wrap tightly around me "It's still morning, and your hair's a mess"

"Thanks"

I roll over and she presses her face against my back, mumbing "The lights you put up are still on, they're gonna start a fire"

I can't get up. I'm too tired and way too comfortable being cuddled up to her to turn the lights off. "Let the whole apartment burn" I sigh, closing my eyes.

(Y/n) sits up, staring at the stars through the window. She somehow finds the willpower to turn the lights off, something that would've taken me at least ten minutes to do, and sits back down farther away from me.

-----(Y/n)------

"Hey no offense but this is really weird" I blurt out

"How so?" Rhys turns over to look at me with an eyebrow raised.

"I don't know, I'm kind of your boss," I shrug following quietly with "I'm kind of a lot of peoples boss"

"Well yeah... Doesn't matter really, does it?"

"I guess not" I rest my head against his chest, the sound of his heartbeat is almost calming.

"As far as first dates go this wasn't too bad, right?"

"This is amazing compared to my other first dates" I chuckle remembering all the awkward dinners and generally strange dates I've been on since high school.

"How... How was your first date with Jack?" He asks anxiously as if he's afraid the question crosses the line between curiosity and striking a nerve.

"Back then he was still John, the simple programmer. He was plenty handsome though, super cocky and confident" I smile slightly at the thought of who he used to be. I remember how his hands twitched as he stood at my desk before he asked me out, not that I would ever mention it to anyone. It was strange but kind of sweet that he was nervous about it. "He didn't have that stupid mask... It was a pretty normal date. Dinner and drinks and y'know. He was a gentleman, and I remember all the women I worked with were really jealous"

Rhys wraps an arm around me "Sounds dreamy" He chuckles

"He was" I smile, patting his chest "But I guess you're alright too" I joke

He gasps, pretending to be offended. "Wow, alright, sorry I'm not some tech department stud"

--------------------------------

I yawn, pouring some more coffee into my mug. The yellow ceramic is chipped to all hell but, as all old and well used posessions, it holds sentimental value.

Spending the night at Rhys' had been nice but staying up late left me exhausted. I would go back to sleep if I hadn't promised Yvette we'd hang out today. She wants to get lunch and go shopping, which for her is an all day ordeal.

I do feel kind of bad, I didn't want to wake him up so I left a message on his phone before I left. Oh well. My hair is still wet from the shower as I search for something to wear.

--------Rhys--------

I rub my eyes, smiling as I remember that (Y/n) spent the night. But as I look around I find myself alone. "Wha..." I mumble

"Rhysie, glad you're up. Hope you and (Y/n) didn't get too close 'cuz you kinda strangled her in your sleep" The man in front of me chuckles.

For a second I almost believe him before shaking my head "No... You're messing with me..." My heart pounds as I reach for my phone, finding a message from (Y/n) left this morning.

'Sorry I had to leave early, I promised Yvette I'd hang out with her today. Bros before hoes, you know how it is ;)' A lopsided smile sneaks onto my face. She's a piece of work.

"Alright, you caught me," He puts his hands up before lowering his voice and whispering "But how long before you do hurt her? We both know that broken table was no accident. Who's to say the next little glitch wont end up with you snapping her neck?" His usually condescending tone is much darker.

My hands shake both with fear and anger. "You're not gonna hurt her" I stand, stepping closer to him.

"Come on now, Rhysie. I would never even think of hurting the woman I love. You, however, just might" He chuckles and disappears.

"Shit."