Chapter 6

*Marshalls POV*

I fell asleep not long after Katie and when I woke up I was on the sofa myself. I stretched, got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. She wasn’t in there either. I opened the small fridge and grabbed a bottle of water just as I opened the water I heard a loud thud coming from the bedroom so I ran straight through because my mind jumped to worst case scenario.

“Ow!” I heard Katie moan. First thing I saw were clothes all over the floor and Katie sitting in the middle of a pile of shoes “the fuck happened here?” I laughed “I can’t find my work shoes anywhere and I need to leave in 20 minutes” “really? What do they look like, I’ll help” We spent 10 minutes rummaging through the mountain of shoes until she finally found her Chelsea boots.

“You ready to go?” I asked while I waited on her coming out of the bathroom once she had put her work outfit on “just a second” she shouted from the bathroom. A few minutes past and she finally walked into the lounge wearing worn out ripped denim jeans, a vest top and leather jacket “wow” I said under my breathe hoping she couldn’t hear me “did you say something?” SHIT. “Nah, we gonna go?” I said while opening the front door and she walked slowly over to where I was standing but she stumbled and I had to grab her arm to stop her completely falling. We headed over to my Mercedes and I opened the door for her then sat down in the driver’s seat. I started the car and before I drove off I looked over at Katie, her hair tied up in a messy bun and her skin was pale, paler than I’d seen her before, and I could tell she had applied a bit of makeup. She was just as beautiful without it; she was even beautiful while she was hugging the toilet throwing up. I smiled to myself and drove until I reached ‘Zukos.’ I pulled into the first parking space I saw and stopped the car; I got out and opened her door for her. “Thanks” she smiled then grabbed onto my arm while getting out of the car. She was still really weak but I guess it was just sleep deprivation or some shit.

We walked up to the bar entrance, Katie still clutching my arm, and went inside. The loud music overwhelmed me as soon as we stepped inside. “When do you want me to pick you up?” I asked, I tried to whisper but the music was too loud, she heard me bother though “is 1 okay? I don’t want you to be rushing around in the middle of the night to come pick me up?” “Don’t be so silly, ill se you soon. Just keep drinking lots of water aight? ”  “okay Marshall, Thank you” she said and stood up on her tiptoes to ive me a hug and a little kiss on the cheek before she walked slowly to the bar.

*Katie’s POV*

I still felt pretty shit but I couldn’t miss work, and spending the day cuddled up to Marshall really took my mind off of my shitty mood. I just wish I didn’t have to move from his arms, ever. Something about being held so close to him made me feel safe and protected, unlike anything ive felt before.

5 hours past and it was now midnight, the bar was heavy filled and each time I checked there were more and more drunks. The smell of vodka made me want to be sick even more but I stuck it in and worked through it. I was wiping down the sticky bar surface when Harmony came running over to me looking flustered and panicked. “Katie oh my god you’ve got to help me!!” “What’s wrong?!” “The music has stopped working and we can’t book a live entertainment this short notice!!” “What can I do about it, Harm?” I asked her looking just as puzzled as Marshall did previously. “Katie, ive heard you sing plenty of times before, I know you can do this! Please do this for me? I think Andrea is willing to pay you over time if you do? Please Katie!!” I sighed, even though I felt like shit I knew I could use the extra cash and recognition, the more people who heard me the more chance I have at getting hired for more? “Fuck it, where’s the mic?” I laughed.

I went into the back office spaces away from the public and adjusted my makeup and hair. Ew, I look and feel like shit.

I walked out of the office space and walked through the bar ad onto the mini stage which was surrounded by tables and booths. I picked up the mic and walked over to the piano which was barely used but still worked perfectly. Just breathe Katie, you can do this. I put both my hands onto the keys of the piano and started playing the first song that I could think of which was ‘ Lana del Rey- Ride’ I played the full song and sang away, once I finished that song the bar burst out in applause and some shouted for more. I started playing the piano yet again and I just started singing one of the songs I had wrote in my spare time, I had only wrote about 2 full songs, ever? But it was still more than some people I guess. I was so in the moment that I kept singing, song after song. I varied from popular chart songs that I had taught myself the keys for or songs I found in an old piano book in the back of the bar a few months ago.