Part Nine

The next few days went on a blur and to Niranjana's relief she never met Ranjan as he was out of town for a business engagement. He will be back this week end. Niranjana is surprised on her disappointment in spite of her dread to meet him. The major shopping for Sanjana's sarees and jewels are over. They have planned for rest of the shopping once Ranjan is back.

Today they decided to check on local shopping mall. Sridhar have communicated with Sanjana to join them in the Mall directly. Ranjan will be picking them up at 10 am. Even though Niranjana was prepared for the inevitable, she stopped dead in shock for few seconds when she saw him in their living room again. It is the same room, but how different the situation is...

"Hello Niranjana, How are you? Am I late for the party?..." he asked her with a smile. 

She gasped in surprise that he remembered the very first words he spoke to her. She was stunned to see him. He look different. His face is the same, but she can able to see the admiring way he carries himself. As if he is sure of everything. No one will doubt about the air of confidence around him. All this made him even more handsome and more grown up.

"Earth to Niranjana... Come back..." she saw him waving his hand in front of her face and flushed on the way she reacted. 

"Remember me?? I am Ranjan, your sister's college mate, your family friend???" A bubble of hysteric laugh emerged her throat on the irony of Ranjan asking whether she remember him.

She politely answered back "Hi Ranjan. How are you? Of course I remember you. I thought you went out of town for MBA and didn't know you came back." She knew she was blabbering and laughed to stop herself from further embarrassment.

"Yes I came back and started an extension of my Uncle's business here and it is now slowly developing." 

"Don't believe him Niru. Ranjan is trying to be modest. He is actually doing well and we all are proud of him." Niranjana's dad clasped a hand on Ranjan's shoulder to show his appreciation.

"Enough about me Uncle. You haven't answered me Niranjana. How are you doing? Now you finished your degree, what is your plan now?" 

Niranjana smiled at his questions. "I am good. I wish to do Pediatrics. Depending on my performance in entrance exams. But those are for later. Now I want to enjoy Sanju's marriage now."

"Hmm... Looks like you have sound plan for you higher studies. But don't say you will disappear again for years together." 

Niranjana felt something in his tone. Before she tried to find it Sanjana dashed to them and they left with saying goodbye to her parents.

"Niru, this dress is perfect for you. The color is also very nice. Just try it on" Sanjana selected a beautiful dark blue and Pink dress for her. 

"I don't know Sanju. Can we check some more designs? Look at the Pink and Grey. The design is also good." 

Niranjana cannot help looking at Ranjan for any reaction. She don't know if he is really interested in selecting a dress for her. Ranjan and Sridhar are not interfering in their selection and are involved in some discussion seriously. She suddenly lost her interest in selecting the dress. 

"Nonsense Niru. This blue and Pink will suit you. The other one is very simple. It does not suit for marriage occasion." 

Niranjana accepted whatever Sanjana selected. They paid for the dress and started looking for other shops.