Part Seventeen

A month had passed since Sanju's marriage. Niranjana felt her life to be very empty. She fooled herself with an excuse that she is free after months of excitement and work on Sanjana's marriage. She very well know the real reason, but don't want to go into that.

She kept herself busy with the exam preparations. She tried hard to concentrate on her studies. She actually succeeded a bit on that step, till she met Swathi today in temple. If Swathi was beautiful six years back, she was breath taking now. She groomed herself very well and was aware of her beauty. Very little women can possess such beauty and smartness.

She again tried interpreting Swathi's words today and could not find any fault on her. 

"I am ashamed on the way I acted back. I know I should not have betrayed Ranjan's trust, but I was so afraid of my dad. Any excuse to justify my action will not be good and I know I have to blame myself for that. I will be happy if Ranjan forgives me. In fact, after these years both of us having grown in our own ways and are mature enough to lead a life."

So Ranjan had not given any answer yer. But he would eventually, since Swathi was the love of his life. Both will make a good pair and Bala Uncle and Saraswathi aunty would be happy for them. She should be glad for them having a happy ending. If only Swathi could have been bad, Niranjana at least would have got a peace of mind. On this thought Niranjana scolded herself 'Don't be childish. This is not a movie to have villains. At least try to be happy for them.'

But where was the happiness for her? All the little peace of mind she tried to achieve for the past month is shattered and she had to start again. May be, she would get to feel better once she go away. She wished for the day to come soon.

"Raghav told that you scored very well in entrance exam Niru. Congrats dear. We all know you will get good scores. Have you decided the course and college?" Bala asked one evening when Niranjana is having Coffee with Bala, Raghavan and Vanitha. She saw Ranjan coming inside when about to answer Bala.

"I always want to do Pediatrics uncle. I thought of joining the same college is Chennai. I know the professors well who can help me in course and also I will get good exposure in a city like Chennai." 

Niranjana felt Ranjan becoming stiff on her answer. She could not talk to him without breaking down and did not want to create a scene in front of their parents. She excused herself and left to her room.

She was leaning on her balcony door and looking across aimlessly. She jerked back with a start when she heard Ranjan in her room. 

"So.... you have decided again to disappear for years together. What is the real reason? I know all those you mumbled out are not the real reason. Don't you want to be with your parents, since Sanju is also not here? Care to tell me?" Ranjan's voice was lased with anger.

Niranjana suddenly felt a peace settling in her as she is presented with the inevitable. "I don't know why you are so worried about me. You already have enough in your plate." 

Niranjana turned her back to Ranjan so he would not see the pain in her eyes. "Aunty and Uncle are looking forward for your marriage. You should start thinking about it. Now you got Swathi back, that too with her father's blessings. I am happy for you both. Now, if you excuse me, I need to pack the necessary documents for the counselling. I have only two days to pack." 

With the words, Niranjana pretended to look into her file. She then heard Ranjan closing her room door with a bang before leaving which seem to be life time.