Sorry's Not Good Enough- Chapter 7

“Well, who’s that?” he asks again.

“Devon? He’s a friend.”

“Does he go to our school?”

“No, he goes to Montwood.”

“Montwood? Really? You know that’s like, our enemy school.”

“Yeah, at sports. Why does it even matter?”

“Well what will it look like? A cute, smart, athletic girl with social status dating a boy from a school who hates ours?”

He was starting to piss me off. I mean, who was he to tell me who to date and who not to?

“Okay, first of all, I’m not even all that athletic. I play tennis but that’s it. It’s not even an important sport in our district, it’s actually the least funded by the school. Cheerleaders get more money than we do. Second, I do not have social status. Why? Because I do debate and play tennis. That’s not exactly the right combination for someone who wants to climb the social ladder. If I had social status, I’d play volleyball or softball. I’d spend my time barely passing classes and worrying more about what color I should dye my hair over what color theme we should use for the yearbook. And lastly, who cares if Devon is from Montwood? Why should I let school rivalry define who I do and don’t date?”

“It matters because of social status, whatever bit you’ve been climbing on the social ladder will be looked over and you’ll fall back down. Ava, I just don’t want you to-“

“To what?” I shouted, cutting him off. “You don’t want me to date him but I don’t get why!” my voice was getting louder and I was concerned my parents would hear our argument.

“Because I kissed you! Okay! I kissed you and now I don’t want to think about what it’ll feel like seeing you with other guys.” He stepped off the bed and walked towards me, it was then I realized I was still standing and had my back to the wall. He quickly cornered me, putting both arms on either side of me so I couldn’t escape.

“I mean, I really like you. I honestly do.” He leaned in to kiss me but I turned my head so he kissed my cheek.

“What’s wrong?” he asked with a sigh.

“You can’t do this.” I didn’t look him in the eye.

“Do what?”

“Just, expect me to not date anyone because we kissed. It’s not fair.”

“Why not?”

“You don’t get it, do you?” I turned to face him. My eyes watering and my throat aching. “You can’t kiss me, tell me you don’t want to date me and then prohibit me from dating anyone else.”

“What do you want me to do?” he asks an in agitated tone.

“I want you to make up your mind! If you honestly like me as much as you say you do, you’d ask me to be your girlfriend! You’d tell me right away that you’re jealous I’m going to the movies with someone else. I’m not doing this to make you feel bad. I just feel like I finally deserve something for myself. I’ve always busted my ass to be the best at everything I can. When you started talking to me, I’m not gonna lie, I was stunned. Nick Matthews, baseball star Nick Matthews is talking to Ava O’Conner, one of El Dorado’s finest nerds.”

“Ava don’t-“

“No, you know it’s true. People in your clique, they don’t talk to people from mine. You taking me to the lake was a dream come true. And then the kiss. That, wonderful kiss made me feel like maybe I wasn’t invisible to the male population. You know, like maybe I’d have a chance with you.” I sat on my bed and I felt him sit next to me. His weight makes the bed sink and I in involuntarily move closer to him.