Sorry's Not Good Enough

Nick. God, where to begin? Well, Nick was a tall fella, I only go up to his shoulders. He had curly brown hair, his eyes were an ocher color, he was tan, bulky but not in a chubby way. He worked out so he had some muscle.

Nick was loud, obnoxious, had tons of friends, conceited, stuck up at times. He was my exact opposite. I don’t know how but I started to fall for him. I, Ava O’Conner, wasa short, brown hair up to my shoulders gal. I had chubby cheeks, an average body, nothing special, and I was morbidly insecure of my looks. Anyhow, Nick and I took algebra and Technology together. In Algebra, I’d sit with my friends Kristen, (Emo, black teased hair, crap load of make-up, combat boots, ripped jeans, scars on wrist…) Allison, (Mega loud, super random, funny, long brown hair, curvy, and braces) and Kiana (Tall! Brown hair, average body, and really fun to be with.) after a while, Kristen started excluding herself and guess what! Nick started sitting by me. Boy was terrible! He’d pass notes all the time, text, bother me. I threw an eraser at his head once and it got stuck in his curls. Haha! Anyway, I learned to tune him out most of the time since Allison would always suck me into conversations but somewhere along the line, I started liking his presence.

In technology, he sat at the computer furthest from me. He’d sit with Kristen and they’d flirt. A lot. The teacher, decided though, that he needed help in the class and she decided to rearrange some seats. She was calling names and all I heard was, “Ava, Nick…”

“What?!” I shouted, “Oh my God! No way, no way! He will be the death of me! The whole class giggled, including Kristen.

“Good, now Kristen doesn’t have a flirting buddy…” said my good friend Walter. My original partner went to claim his new seat and then Nick sat down. My mind was on what Walter said, “flirting buddy…” would he flirt with me?

“Hey partner! OK, so I need help with the spreadsheet on- Whoa! Aaaavaaaa,” he said in a playful kiddy tone, “Why are you blushing?” he asked with a smirk.

“I’m not!” I mumbled and pulled out a mirror to check. He laughed and shook his head.

“I’m teasing,” he stated.

“Oh,” this time, I’m sure I blushed though. We started talking more and morea after that and Kiana noticed, she didn’t have tech with us though!

When Christmas rolled by, Nick made a point that everyone knew his birthday was the day we were let out for Christmas Vacations.In tech, we were looking up Christmas Traditions and he found out about mistletoe, for the first time. I was cracking up as he read about it and was all excited.

“Ava! You kiss the person! KISS!”

“I know,” I replied. Going back to German Christmas traditions.

“You’re under it and you, like, kiss!”

“Nick! I know! It worries me how you’re just now finding out about this.”

“Why?” he asked, completely clueless.

“Because, everybody, well apparently not everybody- knows about mistletoe.”

“Pshhhht, like you’ve ever been near it!”

“As a matter of fact, I have mistletoe at home.”

“Liar…”

“Want me to bring some?”

“Hmmm… fine. And don’t forget the cookies you promised me for my birthday.”

“Ok. Wait, I never said-“

“Too late! You agreed!” he smirked and went back to his screen. I rolled mu eues and texted my mom to buy cookie dough and icing.

***Later***

“He what?!” Allison yelled into the phone; almost making me drop it for the third time that day.

“He tricked me into making cookies,” I repeated.

“No, I was talking to Kiana.”

“Oh, well…”

“He took a job as a milk man type thingy.” Kiana said, referring to her boyfriend Xavier. Now, at this point in time, Kristen was in the mental hospital so she was out of the equation. (A/N : Kristen ran into the restroom one day during English class and slit her wrists. She tried to kill herself but her conscious got to her and she went to the nurse who called an ambulance.)

Kiana, Allison and I party lined to ‘finish work’ for Ms. Hoover. I had cookies in the oven and was sitting in the living room in Tinkerbell pajama pants and a white tank top. I was flipping through a magazine when I got a text. I was still on the line with Kiana and Allison, but they were talking about Xavier and his new job. I opened the text. It was from Nick.

Nick: I like baseball! (:

Me: So?

Nick: idk, just saying.

I didn’t respond and instead hung up on the girls and started to pull the cookies out. I started decorating them and laughed to myself as I wrote ‘Happy B-Day Suckaa!’ on one of them and decorated another like a baseball. I went to my room and played some music then quickly fell asleep after putting away my homework and cookies.

*Nick’s POV*

So, Ava. God, such an unusual name. Pretty. Like her. I know she doesn’t think much of herself but hey, she really is pretty. And she’s funny, and smart, and random as hell. She can go from talking about viruses on a computer to shouting, “Hey! Where the hell is Perry?!” I started talking to her, why? Because at first, I thought a little playing around with her would be fun. And I asked my tech teacher to sit me next to her. Just wait, in a matter of weeks I’ll have her wrapped around my fingers. I just hope I can let her go easily, and that she’s not the type to get attached much.

God, Nick you’re such a jerk! You can’t let yourself do this!

I listen to myself and vow not to let her get hurt. She’s too nice to hurt. She’ll hate me forever. Damn, when did I start caring about other’s feelings?

Ava, you will be the death of me.

Hey guys! Let me know if you read this and if you like it! Please please please! This is my first story I’m really proud about and I would LOVE to continue but I cant if nobody’s reading!