Sorry's Not Good Enough- Chapter 9

this one's a bit of a filler. sorry guys. i need time.

I heard the faint sound of a guitar playing the chords to the song All That I Am. As I walked around, trying to pinpoint the sound, I heard singing pick up.

“But the nights can't hide the days

That the tears roll down her face

And the light hits those eyes

As she's dying to say

Just take me away from all that I am”

I was going crazy looking for the singer. This music store can’t have that many aisles, so why can’t I find them? I heard the music get louder and I knew I was closer. I finally ended up along a shelf that had many guitars hanging from it and then I saw him.

Nick was standing there, eyes focused on his fingers as they strummed the guitar and his voice accompanied melodically.

“As she's dying to say

That the nights can't hide the days

That the tears roll down her face

And the light hits those eyes

As she's dying to say”

“Just take me away from all that I am.” I spoke the words. He stopped and looked up at me. He looked a bit embarrassed to have been caught playing and singing. He coughed to clear his throat and before he could say anything, we were joined by our parents.

“So you like that one, Nick?” he looked up at Mr. Matthews and nodded.

“Alright, we’ll take it then.”

“What’s the occasion?” Nick asked.

“New Year’s gift.” He seem confused but just nodded, gladly accepting the guitar. I watched him walk with Mr. Matthews to pick out a case and grab a few picks.

“Ava, looking lovely dear.” Mrs. Matthews hugged me.

“Thank you, you too Mrs. Matthews.”

“Dear, you can call me Aida.” I go into a conversation with her about school and how she loves being a stay at home mom. After a few minutes we all walk back out and head in separate directions.

“Meet back here in 2 hours!” my Mom shouts over her shoulder as her and Aida run off to the shops.

“2 hours!” my dad clarifies as he himself is stalking off with Mr. Matthews to some stores of their own.

I stand there and bite my thumbnail, awkwardly looking at Nick. He gives me a cute half smile and then speaks up.

“So, ice cream?”

“It’s a bit cold for ice cream don’t you think?” I ask. He nods and  stuffs his hands in his jacket pockets .

“How about Starbucks?”

“Sure.” I smile and follow him as he leads the way to Starbucks.

We get there and I immediately rush to the counter, ordering myself a Chai Tea Latte and before I can ask how much it’s going to be, Nick orders a peppermint mocha and pays for both drinks.

“You know, I’m perfectly capable of buying myself a latte.” I said when we sat at one of the couches near the back.

“I know but like I said, I’m sorry. I want to make it up to you.”

My smile faded as soon as I thought of the argument we had.

“Don’t apologize. I’m going to tell you straight out it won’t work. Sorry’s not good enough.” I responded.