17 Pink

Blaine -

I take hold of her frail body, cradling her in my arms as she takes her last breath. The insignificant movement of the ribs lifting and falling never to do this again. Slowly, I release my hand from the syringe, watching as the needle peaks through her pale skin. I stare into her brown, disgustingly human eyes. The color completely gone. Another trial failed. Another life wasted. Next time. Next time I tell myself.

I throw her body over my shoulder and bounce her to the stairs and walking 15 steps, jumping over the last one, I'm home. I reach the computers and write my final notes of data.

Completely human. Failed.

It must have been the exposure to emotion, just like the last one. I rest her body against the wall. I fumble for moments in the dark. The only light being the screen I guide myself to the switch. The room lights and all is enliven. 16 long cylinders of pristine white cover the walls. The motion of the fluids sloshing inside vibrate underground. I prepare a tube for her. She had to have been my favorite. I stand up and listen to footsteps above me. My heartbeat intensifies. I forgot to water the maidenhair fern. Always liked this species, never needed sunlight. I fill a canister up with water and watch as the sink water soaks into the soil. Focus. I look back to her body. So interesting. I start to remove her clothing, beginning with the shoes. Once fully undressed I open one of the 16 incubators and place her inside. She's one of the smaller test subjects. She's actually 2 feet and 3 inches to0 small for the incubator but it'll have to do. I rest my thumb upon her chin and wish her the best before I close the white door.

I leave the house and meet the Perleth's mother upstairs. I say my goodbyes. Im her grandson after all.

"Take care Gretchen."

"Take care Blaine."

I walk next door to the Perleth's mansion. I always loved how easily mind controlled the subjects were. They always thought they travelled a great distance when they merely walked four feet. I enter through the gates and pluck a leaf from one of the yarrow bushes. Where is this man? Its been 19 seconds and I'm still standing underneath his sun.

"Blaine."

"Perleth."

"She died."

"Oh."