Why would it end?

"You've met him already, haven't you?" Tyler asks Ruby, getting into the passenger's seat of her car.

"Oh, yeah. I visit them a lot." Ruby nods, fastening her seat belt. "At first, I wasn't sure how to feel about the whole situation, but..." Sighing. "When I see Mom smiling and it reaches her eyes at last, I couldn't care less who she's with."

"As long as she's not with Dad." Tyler can't help himself. Ever since finding out about the affair Jeff had with another woman, who currently lives in his and his siblings childhood home, Tyler has been angry with his father. He isn't sure he is ever going to forgive and forget, he still doesn't understand how Stevie could do it. Or so she said that she did. 

Stevie has invited her twins over for dinner since Tyler hasn't met Lindsey yet and more so, because she missed having all three of her children together. Ruby visits frequently and Max has been living with Stevie and Lindsey for weeks now. 

Even though this is the first time Tyler is here, it already smells like home once he and Ruby walk through the door of the condo. Stevie's clearly been busy in kitchen and Tyler feels a smile tug at his lips. 

"They're here." Lindsey looks at Stevie, terrified. He's been accepted by Max and Ruby, but what if Tyler has a problem with him? 

"Don't look so scared." Stevie pecks him on the lips, then wipes her hands of on the kitchen towel. "Come on." She laces her fingers through Lindsey's and they go to greet Stevie's children. 

"Hey!" Ruby hugs Stevie close, kissing her cheek, before hugging Lindsey as well. 

"Hi, Mom." Tyler smiles warmly at his mother, enveloping her in his arms. The two haven't seen each other since before Stevie moved out of the house she used to share with Jeff. 

"Are you sure you can't find a job here?" Stevie jokes, getting a little teary eyed. "I hate not seeing you for so long."

"I know." Tyler sighs, nodding his head. Without waiting for Stevie to make the introduction, Tyler holds out his hand for Lindsey. "I'm Tyler."

"Lindsey. Nice to finally meet you." Lindsey shakes Tyler's hand, a smile on his face as he then steps back and his arm wraps around Stevie's shoulders. "I'm glad you could join us at last. You're a busy man, I hear."

"Lately, yes." Tyler nods. 

"Well, why don't we all go and take a seat?" Lindsey suggests. "I wanted to help Stevie in the kitchen, but I was kindly asked to not touch anything." He feels slightly less nervous when Tyler laughs. 

"You two go, I'll see if Mom needs helping with dinner." Ruby says and hugs Stevie around the shoulders, much like Lindsey did. "They seem alright so far." Once they're out of the earshot, Ruby thinks out loud.

"Lindsey's been so worried since the morning. Since last night maybe." She chuckles, handing Ruby five plates and cutlery. "Set the table, will you please?"

"Tyler kept asking me questions on our way here. I assured him that Lindsey is a good man. I mean, you two have been living together for what, like three months now?" Ruby adds jokingly. "He couldn't have worn a mask for so long."

"Something like that." Stevie nods, making a salad dressing. "A part of me feels like this is the honeymoon phase. I'm dreading about it ending." Stevie admits, but Ruby is quick to calm her down.

"Why should it end? You've known Lindsey for much longer than just the three months. Maybe he really is that other half of you." Ruby shrugs. "You're the biggest romantic I know. If you don't believe in soulmates..." 

Stevie glares at her daughter, knowing Ruby's teasing her. "I do believe in soulmates and I believe Lindsey is mine. However, I've been married to your father for a very long time. Things at the beginning for us were great too, now look where we ended up - almost divorced already."

"My father..." Ruby trails off. "I'd appreciate it if the talk of him didn't ruin our evening."

"Why?" Stevie raises an eyebrow, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"He's very much the family man now that we've all wanted him to be. I barely see him anymore, I can't stand how fake his new relationship is. I think he just doesn't want to be alone, that's why he asked Sandra to move in. God... if only you've seen her." Ruby laughs. "Plastic isn't always fantastic!"

"Are you talking about Sandra?" Max appears through the doorway, having just returned home. 

"You guys are so mean." Stevie says, but laughs along with them. "Right, wash your hands, young man, and join us at the table."

Ruby informs Lindsey and Tyler that dinner has been served and the five of them sit down. Stevie notices the knowing expression on her elder son's face that mirrors Lindsey as they take their seats. 

"Is everything alright?" Stevie asks Lindsey, placing her small hand on his thigh under the table.

"Everything's just fine." Lindsey nods and presses a kiss to her temple. "This looks great, sweetheart." He says, lowering his eyes at the plate, clearly changing the subject, but not before he and Tyler exchange another glance, which leaves a small smile on both men's faces.