Scars - Jon & Daenerys

Daenerys held her breath while she let her eyes wander over his naked chest. She had tried to not stare the first time she had seen the wounds, without a doubt once lethal, but this time she allowed herself to watch them, to actually see them, to look at them and to remember what they stood for.

Jon Snow, her Jon Snow, had taken a sword in his heart for his people. Jon Snow, her Jon Snow, had arisen from the death, blessed by one of the many Gods people believed in, but was still carrying the reminders.

"May I touch them?" She looked up at him and her eyes met his. She could drown in those eyes and she wouldn't even mind.

He hesitated for a moment, his chest moving up when he took a deep breath as if he was trying to gather all the courage he could find in himself. "Yes." His answer was barely a whisper and carefully, tenderly, Daenerys placed her hand on his chest.

She held her breath while the tips of her fingers trailed over his wounds, the deep wounds that were never completely healed. Even though Jon didn't even flinch when she touched the scars, she could feel the pain in her heart, in her soul. "Why?" She looked up at him again and strangely enough her glance was slightly hazy because of the tears that were burning in her eyes. "Why would someone do something like that to you?"

Jon kept silent for a moment. Even though he stood perfectly still, his chest was moving up and down rapidly and the veins in his neck were visibly beating. "I let the Wildlings in. I wanted to give them food and shelter. I wanted to protect them against the army of the death. Some of my own men..." Jon hesitated as if even speaking about it brought back the pain, the anger, all the emotions that had rushed through his veins and mind when his own men had decided to kill him. "They thought the Wildlings were the enemy."

Daenerys pulled her hand back. She had seen the man people had praised. She had seen him sacrificing his own life for the safety of others. She had heard him ordering her to leave without him, even though he had been the one she had wanted to rescue most of all. "I'm so sorry you had to go through this." She shook her head, not really knowing what else to say although she knew that words like sorry didn't heal wounds like this. She doubted if anything or anyone would ever be capable of healing wounds like this.

"I'd do it again if I had to." Jon straightened his back and lifted his chin and Daenerys pressed the palm of her hand to his stubbled cheek.

She kissed one corner of his mouth and then the other. Her lips trailed over his chin, his neck, his collarbone and eventually she let them linger over the scar above his heart. While she closed her eyes she kissed his damaged skin. She could feel her heart racing in her chest while she did so, but once she had kissed the scar above his heart she moved onto the next one and the next one until she had loved them all.