Chapter 15~ Unexpected

Rubbing my eyes, I wake up to the feeling of tension in the room. Jez is up and dressed, and Juan is brushing his teeth.

When Juan rinses out his mouth, he comes out of the bathroom speaking. "So the clue from last night indicated we need to find his ship next. I already arranged for a boat."

"Where is this ship?" I ask. I don't think Juan and Jez have said a word to each other since their fight.

"I'm not sure. It sank not far up the coast of Guayaquil. The people taking us out are looking for its location right now."

"It could be anywhere."

"And these people are well trained at what they do." He said it with a finality that I had never heard from him before. The argument he had with Jez really did take a toll on him.

"Okay, when do we go to the boat?"

"Now, get dressed. Make sure to bring Jez's swim suit with you since you're the only one who can scuba dive. I don't know why she had it in her emergency bag, but she did."

"Obviously, it's useful." Jez said to the wall.

I grab the clothes I had been wearing when we escaped from the train and went into the bathroom. I needed to buy some more shirts when we came back to shore later today.

On the sink was Jez's neon green leopard print bikini. Not my taste, but a wet suit would go over it so it didn't really matter. If I started to complain, there was no way we could get rid of this curse for Jez.

I put the bikini on under my clothes, thenput on my glasses. As soon as I got out of the bathroom, we headed to the docks. It wasn't a long walk from the hotel to the docks, soon lines, and lines of boats were in front of us.

Juan seemed to know exactly where he was going. He led us to a boat named Jefe, Boss in English. It was a  large ship that could carry at least fifteen people.

A familiar aroma filled my nose when we boarded the ship. A man from below deck came up carrying bread. I tapped Juan, "Hey, it looks like they go to the same bakery you went to."

He just nods to my comment and asks a man if everything is ready. The tells his yes and he turns his attention to me and Jez.

"Welcome aboard our humble boat. My name is Henry and please make yourseves at home. We have affirmed the location of the ship and will take you there soon. It will be a 45 minute ride to the wreckage site."

"Is this your boat?" Jez asks.

"No, I am only first mate. The captain of the ship is unable to join us at the moment, he is busy below decks." His accent was Spanish, but it seemed more formal than that of someone from South America.

We were already making our way out of the harbor. "Will you be scuba diving today?" I ask.

"No, it is Elliot who scuba dives. Elliot! Where are you?"

"I am right here Henry. What do you want?" A black man with long dreads walks up to us. He sounds like he came from some island in the Caribbean.

"This is the girl who's going to dive with you toady," he gestures at me.

"Ah, yes hello. My name is Elliot. And your name is?"

"Heidi." He shakes my hand.

"The sky says it will be a good day. We must keep our eyes open for trouble though."

I knit my brows together, Henry shakes his head. "Don't listen to Elliot's nonsense. He thinks the sky tells him things."

"It does! It has a lot more to say than you think my friend." He turns to me. "It was nice to meet you Heidi."