Chapter 7: The night in the woods

Aphmau's P.O.V.

I woke up in the tent we put for the night. Our camp was on the edge of Rua'an, so we could easily get to Tu'la and back, though it's a long way until Phoenix Drop or O'kasis. Everyone were asleep, except me and the one standing guard, Zane. He sat at the campfire, thinking of something.

"What may a maiden need, Aphmau?" Zane questioned, turning his head to me. "Nothing really Zane, I just can't sleep." I asnswer, sitting down next to him.

We sit there for awhile, under the sound of crunching wood and owls hooting. "What do I need to answer?" Zane said and I tilted my head, "I know you have a curiosity overload, Aphmau. You are bad at hiding it.".

"Well..." I started, "What's your past and how did you get here? Why do always have hair covering your eye? Why do you wear a mask?".

"I cover my eye because of an incident that happened that left my eye different. I wear a mask because of a part of my face I don't like to show..." Zane replied.

"And... my past.." He continued, "My dad was killed when I was young, my older brother, Garroth, never noticed me and the one who really cared was mom. My younger brother, Vlyad, at least thought about me, when Garroth thought I was just a shadow...".

"I... know your brothers... Garroth has a crush on me and Vlyad is a good friend of mine. You are the lost Ro'meave, Right?" I responded, He nodded. "Once I asked Vlyad why is he going into spies. He answered, 'To find my brother, Zane. Now I know who you are..." I said with a smile and Zane's look softened.

Then someone else woke up. It was Aaron. "Did we wake you up?" Zane asked. "No, I'm hunting, with me?" Aaron replied. "I will go with you!" I exclaimed.

With that we walked into the forest. We walked until we heard something rustle. Aaron kneeled down and quietly unsheathed one of his swords. A girl with black cat ears and pink hair hopped out of a bush.

"A-Aphmau?" She stuttered. It was Kawai~Chan. "K-KC?" I replied, smiled, and hugged her. "Aphmau~Senpai! I missed you!" Kawai~Chan yelled.

"Get away from her, Aphmau." Aaron commanded. "Wh-What are you go-going to do?" I asked. "Kill her." He said putting his sword to Kawai~Chan's neck, "Any last words?".

"Aaron! You can't kill her!" I yell at him. He hesitated but moved his sword out of the way. "You know if she tells the army you, your family and friends will be killed. Along with me." Aaron said, coldly.

"K-Kawai~Chan you w-wouldn't kill m-me would y-you?" I stutter in shock and understanding what could happen. "No, Kawai~Chan w-would never d-do that to Aphmau~S-Senpai!" KC stutter.

"Do you swear apon your life?" Aaron asked, she nodded. Aaron then cutted her shoulder lightly as she yelp a little. The drop of Kawai~Chan's blood in his hand turned into a pink gem.

"If you tell anyone about this the gem will glow, and I will kill you. If you don't as soon as you won't be a problem I will break it and you'll be free to tell." Aaron said, putting the gem into his pocket. KC was in shock.

"Don't worry he keeps his promises. I will look after him. He wouldn't even dare to touch it if I'm around." I chirped and winked. Kawai~Chan sighed in relief.

"At least Kawai~Chan won't get killed." Kawai~Chan said and smiled. I grabbed Aaron's arm and tried to drag him away but  he was stuck in one place, staring into the woods.

I glanced at where he was looking and sw wolves. "Wolf meat will be a good breakfast, don't you think?" Aaron asked without expressing emotions, like always. He creeped to the wolves and then... Red splashes.

Leaves, trees and grass were all blood red. The poor wolves whimpered and whined. Then the whining stopped and Aaron brought  a couple out.

"Why did you need to kill all of them?" I whispered, so Kawai~Chan wouldn't hear us. "They would attack me if I didn't kill them." He answered, blankly, dropping the two dead wolves on the ground.

I looked up to the purplish sky as the sun risen. We quickly got the wolves to camp and got their meat. Kawai~Chan didn't go with us, obviously, there are 4 other killers at camp and going there is just going for death.

I stared at the blazing embers of the fire while Zane cooked the meat on it. As soon as it was done, Ein woke up. "What is that?" Ein said carefully. "Wolf meat, Aaron got it." Zane answered the question of his captain.

"Lemme try." Ein said and grabbed a chunk. He took a bite and smiled a little. "Fine cooking." He said, biting into the meat once more. Soon Katelyn and Gene were also awake. We all were eating, but then Aaron suddenly disappeared.

"I'll be in a minute." I said to the group, knowing if I run away they will kill my family and friends. I noticed cut out dents in a tree, as though they were made with a knife or a sword.

I look at the branch above me, to see a familiar dark figure with a red bandanna. "Get down Aaron." I said, he jumped down. "Why did you hide?" I asked, he turned his head away. "Don't like people, not any more.".

"Why don't you? Is it because of your past?" I questioned with sympathy. "After the tragedy, people were scared of me. 'The one who lived', they said. It took people by surprise that there was no blood or bodies in the place where the tragedy took place." Aaron started.

"they were scared of the unknown and pushed me away. There was only one family that kept me for who I am." He finished. I hugged him for a split second. We returned to the camp, and headed back to the main base.