The truth

'Lockwood, you still haven't told me where this dance is.'
Lucy was most likely expecting it to be at the fittes institute, but as we drove past she turned around and looked at me in shock.
'Were not going to the Rotwell's are we?'
I grinned.
'Lockwood, I thought we didn't get on with the people in that agency!'
'Oh, so I'm guessing you haven't read the newspapers lately?'
'Well, it's not my fault you hog our weekly newspaper deliveries!'
She wasn't wrong.
'Ok, ok, I'll update you. So the Rotwell institution are throwing a massive dance-based party to celebrate 50 years of "sending ghosts back to the afterlife" and all agents are invited.'
The cab driver stopped and let us out.
We walked up to the enormous oak front doors.

'But Lockwood, Holly and George are agents too! Why are they not coming?'
I gave her one of my lopsided smiles.
'Luce, that's why I've been hogging the newspapers, I didn't want them to know about this event so that I could come here alone, with you.'
Lucy smiled and blushed a little.
I think I did too.

'Well, as much as I'd like to stay here talking to you, I know dancing is way more fun! Come on, let's go in!'
We pushed the heavy double doors, and a shockwave of heat, light and sound hit us.

Lucy and I walked in and I noticed her lips were pinker than usual.
Was she wearing makeup, for me?
No. It was just an effect of the lighting. I don't think Lucy would go as far as wearing makeup for anyone though. When it wasn't for disguises of course.

The night went by quickly, and we were asked many a time to try out the official Rotwell 50th anniversary champagne. Of course, we said no. Come on, Lucy and I are only 14.

When the party was almost over, Lucy came over to me pale-faced
'Lockwood, I don't feel so great.'
I caught her hand and we slowly weaved through the crowd of people. Lucy seemed to know quite a few people from the different teams.

We left through the back doors, and we found a quiet park with an empty bench.
'Luce, are you ok?'
'Yeah, I'm fine now. I'm just not used to all that heat and noise. You know? I'm used to phychic cold and silence in haunted houses. I think that's more my environment.'
I squeezed her hand.
'But were you having fun?' I asked
'Yeah it was great! I saw old Tina Lane, a girl from one of the Rotwell teams I helped when I was a freelance operative. She seemed to be muttering something to herself in a corner.'
'Definitely someone you'd get on with!'
'Yeah. Right.'
It was midnight, and George was almost certainly sleeping.
I stood and helped Lucy up. 'Well, we could go back home now, or go for a walk.
'A walk sounds nice. I have something to ask you anyway.'

We walked down a path in the park and kept walking until we reached some old abandoned shops and warehouses.

'Well, since this is such a special night,' she began, 'Am I entitled to ask you one question? Any question?'
I looked down towards her.
'Alright. But I am entitled to a question too. I think I should go first.'
We stopped, and I held both of Lucy's hands. 'Your mother and sisters, did any of them have brown hair like yours? Did you really look like any of them?'
She looked down. 'No, not really. We didn't really have much in common. Come to think of it, We had nothing in common. I always felt out of place when I was with them, to be honest, I was quite glad to be leaving.'
'I'm sorry Luce,' Lockwood tilted my head upwards. 'But now it's your go, ask me anything. I can't guarantee an answer as clear as yours though.'
'That's ok, this is a difficult question. Why don't you like people calling you Anthony?'
I smiled. I was glad I could tell someone trustworthy.
'Well. It was what my parents used to call me when they were angry with me. Whenever anyone calls me that, it reminds me that before my parents died, we had an argument, so they died being angry with me.'