23

The Four Howlers and Sarko were to leave the capital at first light, wanting to return to the training camp with enough sunlight to spare. Ki for one was happy to leave as early as possible. She didn't want to join the others at breakfast, despite her stomach telling her otherwise. They had a long ride ahead of them, but she'd sooner go hungry than risk running into the prince.

"I'll meet you at the stables," Ki told Emmie as they left their rooms with their packs. The Earth Howler glanced at Ki with a worried look, but Ki waved a hand, telling her to go on. "I'm not that hungry anyways."

Ki edged along the empty corridors with soft steps, not wanting to call any attention to herself, but luckily the palace was still asleep from last night's celebrations. A few servants skittered around, but paid her little notice.

Stepping outside she breathed in the free air and took a moment to watch the still sleeping city splayed out in front of her. The sun was slowly creeping up over the horizon in the East, the endless plains surrounding half of the capital island would soon be bathed in the orange glow of the rising sun.

Despite the quietness of the palace, the royal stables were buzzing with life. Several servants were readying the horses that would bring the Four home. Ki wasn't used to people doing things for her so she stepped in to help saddle her horse. The servant didn't seem to mind either and if the red circles under his eyes were any indication, Ki suspected the young servant boy had been up late last night.

"I can do the rest," she said, smiling reassuringly. The boy blinked, but quickly bowed then handed her the reins and scurried out of the stables before anyone could tell him otherwise.

Ki took much joy in readying her white mare; brushing her fingers through the horse's pale mane she muttered compliments of vanity, which the horse seemed to enjoy immensely. It gave Ki a sense of calm and helped collect her thoughts and to shut out any unwanted ones.

Approaching footsteps pulled her out of her trance, followed by the smell of freshly baked bread that caused her stomach to growl noisily.

"I figured you'd be hungry," Thatch said entering the stables with his pack slung across his back and carrying several small rolls of breakfast bread.

"How generous of you," Ki said, reaching out to grab a roll, but Thatch pulled the food out of her reach.

"Who said this was for you?"

"You're an ass, Thatch."

"There's my girl," Thatch grinned, throwing Ki a roll, which she caught and immediately devoured. Two more followed before Ki felt satisfied enough and Thatch then went on to eat the remaining one before she could change her mind.

"Do you feel like talking about it?" Thatch casually asked as he secured his pack on his horse, the attending servants had vanished without Ki noticing. They were alone now, all horses saddled and ready to go.

"All I want to do right now is leave this place and stay away," she said, fixing the straps on her saddle once more before feeling satisfied.

"I hear you. Anyway, if you change your mind..." He let the offer hang in the air and Ki nodded in reply.

Moments later they were joined by Emmie and Ori, who were looking a little flustered.

"The sooner we leave the better," Ori said and immediately began securing his belongings on the back of the saddle. "Sarko is in a right foul mood."

The subject of conversation marched through the stable entrance and Ki almost shrank as steam seemed to be rolling off of their training master.

"I'll be glad if I never set foot in this dunghole again," Sarko growled. He barely paid them any attention as he swung himself into his saddle and Ki knew not to ask any questions. Even Thatch seemed to be wise enough to stay quiet.