13

A month after their arrival, reports came in that another two of Aethorin's soldiers had been found dead on the outskirts of a village north of Warrior City. Master Sarko could not hold it off any longer – the Four Howlers would be going on their first assignment as protectors of the land, whether they were ready for it or not.

After their first connection training they had worked on connecting three of them together and then finally all four of them. It had taken a few attempts; Thatch had a habit of interrupting the connection before they could do anything. He would put his attention elsewhere, causing the still fragile connection to snap, much to the others' dismay. Sarko had continuously scolded Thatch and threatened to kick his ass back to Fire unless he started taking things seriously. Thankfully he did and they had soon after mastered the connection so well that even from a distance and without looking, they could find each other and connect their minds. Sarko had them do all sorts of exercises, from making firestorms to building dams and finally to attack designated areas as a unit. Several days of training later they were able to connect with each other in less than a minute – Sarko was timing them – and he had finally been satisfied enough at their work that he'd patted them all on their backs, much to their surprise.

"I knew you could," he then said, before slipping back into his usual scowl and demanded they trained every day, both physically and mentally. Then he strode off, leaving them by themselves.

On the morning of their departure, they were all sat together at breakfast. No one were talking, they were all just sat silently, picking at their bowls of hot grain and bread.

Ki had still kept up her daily morning training with Thoran and she was sad that they'd have to take a break from it. She hoped, despite her growing excitement of finally seeing some of the land, that she'd return soon and continue their practice. She could definitely see an improvement of their workouts; her body was leaner and the muscles in her stomach and arms were more prominent. She could feel the difference too; she had more energy from the physical training, which she could use in her mental training, not tiring as easily as in the beginning.
Thoran had even taught her the basics of sword fighting, how to grip the sword correctly and how to stand when facing an opponent. Despite her sword only being a training sword, it was a heavy one and it took Ki a while to get the balance right.

Thoran wasn't at breakfast and Ki tried her best not to keep looking up every time someone entered the tent. Above all she didn't want Thatch to come up with some idiot remark about it. Not that she cared what he thought was going on between them, as nothing was.

Master Sarko walked through the tent door's opening, two armed soldiers flanking him. He strode through the rows of benches until he came to a halt behind Thatch.

"Are you all ready?" They all nodded and so they left their half-eaten breakfast behind, hoisted up their small travel packs, which carried essentials like spare clothes, food and water. That morning, Ki had opted for sturdy brown pants, a long white tunic and a black leather vest, laced close at the front.

Outside, saddled horses awaited them. Ki spotted the white mare she had arrived on and walked up to her.

"Hey beautiful," she cooed, stroking the muzzle. The mare leaned into her touch. "I should really find a name for you."

"How about Thory? I think Thoran would appreciate that."

"How about you shut up," Ki retorted, turning around to glare at Thatch who was already seated up on his black horse.

"Have you seen him today?" Emmie asked Ki, guiding her grey mare over to stand next to Ki's.

"No," Ki sighed, automatically looking around for him, but without luck. "It would have been nice to say goodbye, but I guess I'll see him when we return."