Chapter 3

Meredith's POV

     I awoke to a noise that if I had to guess, was somebody shuffling around in the kitchen. I slid off the couch where I had slept the previous night, and made my way upstairs. I walked into my bathroom, and stared at myself in the mirror. I almost felt as if I didn't recognize the person looking back. The person in the mirror gave me a rather insecure feeling. After a few moments, I realized I should get downstairs. After all, my day must go on.

     I walked back down the stairs and into the kitchen. I figured the noise from this morning was Addison since she was currently sitting in there right now.

     "Listen, Meredith." Addison started.

     "Save it. You don't have to apologize, okay? You were right. My mother did spend so much time away because she didn't want to be with me. It's not an insult, it's a fact. I also understand why you said that you wouldn't want to spend time with me either. It's really no big deal. I didn't even care." I said, as I plastered a smile onto my face.

     She looked a me uneasily before saying, "I don't believe you. First of all, It's not okay. I was way out of line. Second, I just wanted to say that...I don't feel like that. You're a good person to be around. If my husband had to sleep with anyone, I'm glad it was you."

    I raised my eyebrows. "Well, I guess this is the part where I say that I'm sorry too."

     "For what?" She questioned.

     "For saying that we would never be friends, and basically that you were nothing to me. That's...that's not true. I appreciate you listening to me the other night. You have no idea how much I need that sometimes." I said, all of a sudden feeling really ridiculous in my current stage compared to her flawless beauty.

     "We all need that sometimes." She smiled.

     I nodded, and mirrored her smile. After a few moments, she spoke up.

     "So, we should probably get to work." Addison said.

     "Yeah.. Uh, want to ride together?" I asked nervously. She nodded and pulled me out the door, grabbing the keys on the way out.

-

    We got to the hospital with only a few minutes to spare. We hopped out of the car and walked in side by side, glancing around at the nurses and other doctors staring at us.

     I shot glares back at them, as Addison pulled me along with her through the hospital hallways.

     "Okay, so this is me." I said as we got to the locker room. "I'll see you later?"

    "Yeah. You'll probably be on my service today, so after you get your assignment from Bailey, just come find me." Addison told me, as she walked away to head up to the OB/GYN wing.

     Just as Addison guessed, I was on her service today. Cristina teased me the entire time about how I'm living with the "wicked witch of the West." A new nickname that had apparently caught on. I scolded her, along with Izzie not to call her that.

     I found Addison looking at Patients' charts while leaning up against the nurses station. As soon as I was in front of her, she was already dragging me to the elevator.

     "Okay Meredith. We already have a patient who is about to have a metastatic tumor removed and she is 30 weeks pregnant. We are going to monitor the baby as Derek performs the surgery. Our goal is to keep that baby inside of her. If the baby gets too distressed, we can perform an emergency C-section. However, let's hope it doesn't come to that." Addison explained as we made our way to the O.R.