Thirty-Nine - Meet The Parents

The morning was beautiful. I'd woken up at the sound of Luke humming, his fingers trailing down my spine as I slept comfortably on his chest, a blanket covering us. Right as I turn to him, we both smile and he chuckles lowly before giving me a peck on my lips.

"Amazing night? You slept soundly, after we finished," Luke comments, his wolfish grin replacing the smile that was there a few seconds ago. "Guess the second round really made you tired, huh?"

"You are insufferable," I roll my eyes. "You're lucky I love you."

He places his fingers now in my hair, running through them so easy. "So, want to tell me what happened that made you realize that you wanted to come here in the middle of the night and tell me in actions that you're ready?"

Here goes nothing.

"I've realized that I've been afraid to move forward," I tell him. "I've had my parents and my brother taken away from me and I've always considered them as my home and I guess, moving forward for me, I thought, meant that I'd forget about them but a wise friend said that it doesn't have to be that way. That losing my home doesn't mean I can't make another one. It took me a while to realize that you being my home doesn't mean that I'm leaving them. It just means I'm moving on, and I think that's what they wanted for me to do, that's why they told me that if ever something happened to them, I have to go here."

And I'm so grateful that they did.

"You're my home, Luke. It's always going to be you."

The glint in his eyes is unmistakable. He looks so relieved, happy, and there are... tears in his eyes. "You're my home, Ro. Always."

We seal our words with a kiss, and we hold one another, our chest pressing onto one another, free to feel our fast heartbeats.

How lucky am I to have someone like him.

I'm home.

"Hey, Luke, I've got some bad ne—OH MY GOD!" Caroline shrieks, immediately turning around as soon as she saw Luke and I who are clinging to our sheets. "Right, right, okay, I'm going to pretend I didn't see anything. Actually, I'm not going to. This is disgusting and I'm so happy for you guys! But, also, um, I'm seriously going to need to burn my eyes off if I see one more thing like thi—"

"Care, what the hell do you want?" Luke interrupts. "Tell it and go!"

She puts her hands up surrender. "Okay, okay! Jesus, I'm the one who's being abused here. I didn't ask to see you two naked and here I am. Look, mom and dad texted; they're coming home in a few hours. So I suggest that you two get dressed. I'm sure Luke told you that our parents are judgmental, Rose. If you don't have nice clothes, I'd be glad to let you borrow mine."

"Okay," I bit my cheek from stopping my laughter. "Thanks, Care. Can we, um, get dressed?"

"Yup, I sure as hell am going," Care grabs the door handle and close it. Before I hear her footsteps go away, she yells, "Next time, LOCK THE DOOR!"

And that was it. That was our morning.

Chaotic but hilarious as always.

As we hurried off to get dressed, Caroline calls me to her room.

"There are a lot of things you shouldn't talk about while my parents are here," Caroline says, handing me her nude sandals. "Don't talk about politics. When they ask what music you like, just avoid rock because they'll think that you're a buffoon. You should avoid music in general because anything that you like, they'll make sure to tell you that they think your music choices are stupid. I'm so thankful that you like painting because they'll make sure to ask you a lot of questions if you know about your art. Uh, what else, avoid mentioning Kev or Zach because my parents are huge homophobic people."