Three: Crashed and Open

Julia: I hide it well, so well I even have Kyle fooled. Though, he doesn't pay much attention these days. He's too busy talking about fighting those damn werewolves and drinking. Every night there's a bottle of beer in his hand, why? I don't know. Maybe this is our Mother in him.

I was sitting on the balcony ledge, tracing the crescent in my palm. I was thinking of my Father, or lack of Father. Mother always said that our Father was a guy she met in high school, but she must've loved him, or cared for him once. Who was he? These thoughts were useless. No one knew, Mother wouldn't tell anyone.

It's useless to think of such things, such impossible things.

“Happy Birthday, Julia.” Derek said; leaning against the wall and watching me.

But, I always think of those impossible things when my birthday comes.

I smiled, but it didn't move Derek. He came closer, grabbed my waist and moved me so my entire body as facing him. He wrapped his arms around my tiny waist.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

“Nothing, I was just thinking.” I said, moving his dark red hair out of his face.

“Can I ask what you were thinking about?” He smiled genuinely.

I chuckled, “I deserved that.” I played with his white buttoned shirt, “I was thinking about my Dad.”

“Are you alright?” He petted my hair.

I nodded, “Yeah – I mean, I always think about him on my birthday, my Mom too.”

He looked around and took a big breath, “Well, Daniel had this party planned out for you tonight, and I am to distract you while they get this house prepared for the event.”

I laughed, “They don't have to go to that much trouble.”

He rubbed my cheeks, “Donny knows that you've never really had a birthday and he wants to make it up to you.”

I smiled, “Thank you, Derek.” I kissed his cheek.

“So, why don't we take you shopping, huh?” He said cheerfully.

“No, no. I have plenty of clothes. Why don't we go out and eat?”

He lifted me in the air threw me on his shoulders, causing me to laugh, “I like that, yeah, lets go eat.”

Jonathan: Today is Julia's birthday and every year I surprise her with something she'll love. I just hope she'll love me. Loup was buying clothes with the money he had stored somewhere. We were in New York; we just came from a plane in Spain. Loup came out with a pair of dark sunglasses on and handed me a pair.

“Oh, this is so sweet, Loup!” I giggled and put them on. “And they look so nice on me!”

Loup rolled his eyes, “Yeah, don't get over excited about it.” Loup said moving his hair out of his eyes.

“Why don't you get it cut?” I had gotten my hair cut when we first landed in New York, it was shorter, a lot shorter than before, but I still looked handsome.

I caught a girl winking at me and gave her my best charming smile.

“I think we have bigger priorities than my hair.” he grabbed his wallet, paid for the sun glasses, and I ripped the tag off.

“Yeah, your right. You look better anyway.” I said straighting my tie. He had us looking like FBI agents with the long black coats and leather shoes. This was not me, and the tie was chocking me.

Loup started walking with me right behind him. He had his hurt hand wrapped; the doctor we went to said he strained his wrist. It should heal quickly.