I'm Fine

"Why didn't you kill that son of a bitch when you had the chance?" Bella asked.

King shook his head, "Don't make me feel worse than I already do."

"Thanks," Bella said quietly instead with her focus already shifting to Sarah.

She watched Sarah. She woke up after they got there, completely fine, much to Bella's relief. Her tiny body ran through the tall grass. She laughed at trees and swore her vengeance to the wind as if it listened.

"I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost her."

"Think nothing of it," King said.

"You should get some sleep," she said with a smile finally on her lips. "Storming the castle takes a toll on you, ya know?"

"I'm fine," he said.

"How is she?" Bella asked.

"She's asleep," he sighed. "Still."

"Do you think it's going to make it worse?" she asked.

"Worse than she already was? No, probably not. You know, Valerie isn't going to stop until she's dead. I don't want to have to fight her."

"I see...," Bella whispered.

"I told myself that I needed her to remember," King said.

"But you already knew," Bella said.

"Yeah," he sighed.

"What are you going to do?" Bella asked.

"I don't know," he said honestly. "Valerie has a point. As long as she lives, he can take the throne."

"So, kill him," she said.

"Yeah," he groaned and rubbed his hands through his jet-black hair. "It's not that easy to kill Zee."

"Not that easy for you?" Bella laughed.

"Ha ha," he said. "He's got the protection of the moons on him until all of this is over."

"Damn," Bella groaned. "I forgot about that. I just forgot everything when it came to Sarah."

"Yeah," King said.

"Lucky is going to be okay," Bella said as they watched Sarah flick bugs off a nearby tree.

"I don't want to talk about her," King said. He let out a heavy breath and watched Sarah catch a bug in her fist.

"Alright," Bella said softly. "You don't have to talk, but you do have to sleep."

"Yes, your highness."

Bella stared out across the field. Trees lined the open space like guards of their own. It was miles from the palace—nestled behind a hill and not too far from the coast. It was Liz's old house, but it was still a beautiful house. Bella knew that had to get to King some, but she was thankful for it, none the less. Felix was inside asleep. Sarah had just woken up. Everything was okay for them.

"I can't believe we made it out of there," she said.

"Yeah," King said, but his heart wasn't in it. She knew his thoughts were elsewhere.

"Give it time," Bella said as she stood up. "She'll remember."

King didn't say anything back to her.

Bella called out to Sarah. The little girl held her arms out to her sides and ran towards her sister like a plane—or an assassin. Bella put a hand on her head, and they started to talk to one another. They walked together and went into his house. He looked at the outside walls. He looked at the flower pots—still in the windows where Liz left them when she was alive.