Kill Me, Helix

The ceiling was still dim. It hovered over Lucky like a gargoyle—nothing but stone and ever-watchful. She blinked in the silence and put her hand to her head. She wasn't sure if she was awake or asleep, but she kept seeing visions of eyes. They would open and shut--eyes of every color.

She pushed herself from the bed and staggered back to the mirror in the bathroom. She lifted her shirt over her head and stood in the cold air just about as bare as she could be. The bruises fell further down her skin like grayish-blue leeches.

"What did you do to me?" she whispered and hung her head back in the sink. Bella couldn't get back fast enough with the medicine. She reached for her shirt with closed eyes, pulled it into her hands, and lay on it like a pillow.

"It's not that bad," Helix's voice invaded her ears at last.

Lucky bolted up from the counter and staggered back into the wall. She knew she heard that voice. It was loud, clear, and very much there in her head.

"I'm delirious," she mumbled and slid the shirt back on over her head.

"No," Helix said in her ear, "you're unstable."

"Unstable?" she mimicked.

"Unstable," he said. "I would know."

She turned her head to look back into her room. Everything in it seemed to glow with an outline. They seared their green light into her vision the way migraines usually did. She certainly felt that way.

"How...," she groaned, "are you in my head?"

"I can get in anywhere," Helix's voice laughed in her ears, but it almost sounded like a whisper.

"Why?" she said as she cupped her hands over her stinging eyes. "Is this what you did to Sarah? I swear I'll kill you."

"Sarah isn't the one you need to worry about," Helix sighed. "I'm not going to do anything to hurt my own daughter. I may be a bad person, but I'm not all that bad."

"Gawd, I'm so confused," Lucky groaned and tried to head towards her bed. With each step, she swore the ground itself moved.

"Lucky!" a voice came from outside her door.

"Bella?" she sighed as she fell onto the bed, but it wasn't Bella who came rushing through her door. It was Sarah.

"Lucky!" Sarah cried. She ran to Lucky with tears streaming down her face, and it was enough to make even Lucky sit back up. "Lucky, help!"

"Sarah?" Lucky groaned. "What's wrong? Calm down. Breathe."

Sarah shook her head from side-to-side so that her light hair fell in wavy ribbons by her tiny shoulders. She bit her lip and sniffed up snot. She fell over on Lucky and held her as tightly as she could.

"I can't," she screamed.

"What's wrong?" Lucky asked again as she stroked Sarah's wavering head. It wasn't going to be long before Lucky passed out herself.

"They killed him," she sobbed. "They killed him, Lucky! Lucccckkkyyyy! Help. Help him."

"Killed who?" Lucky asked as she stiffened up in bed more. "Sarah, what in the world are you talking about? Did you have a bad dream?"

Sarah shook her head and finally looked up at Lucky. She met her glassy eyes with her worried ones. Sarah didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to get the words out. She wasn't sure she could even tell Lucky what she saw. Telling her meant that her father would know that she knew, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter because he was dead.