Witness For The Prosecution

As Joey places the second artifact on the mantlepiece, he murmurs a quiet farewell to iJustine. He's never been ultra-religious, but the thought of her teaching the angels how to use an iPhone comforts him.

Somewhat.

It hurts. God, it hurts. It feels like a thousand knives stabbing every square inch of his skin, digging their way through his muscles, burrowing into his bones. Her screams still echo in his mind, like an unholy choir of fear.

"Joey, why?"

"Joey." He turns around, and there's Oli, a mask of regret on his face. "Look, I'm sorry, man, but...one of us had to go."

Joey nods. In a way, Oli's right; the house demanded blood. But why Justine? Justine, who haunts him even now, dancing her way through the scattered pieces of what was once his heart...

It doesn't matter. He's done caring. He doesn't even have the energy to hate Justine's killers anymore. He's tired, and he's broken, and if he survives tonight, he's going to do it on his own terms. Everyone else can die, or live, or do whatever the hell they feel like doing.

This house can't hurt him anymore.

The group huddles around a table, some of them fighting back tears, all of them suppressing memories of a beautiful blonde girl who moved and breathed and blinked and lived a mere fifteen minutes ago.

It's Matt who finally mentions the elephant in the room. "Guys...I mean...we just killed Justine."

GloZell glowers at the table, using her palms to tap out a rhythm on the smooth wood. She's gotta admit, she can't believe what they've done—what she's done—but there's no point crying over spilled milk. It's done. It's over. Justine's gone, and GloZell's still here, and she can't waste time boohooing when there's work to do.

Besides, she's finally figured out who's working with the evil. She had her suspicions before, but the whole business with Justine has blown away the last remaining speck of doubt from her mind.

"We buried Justine," she snaps, "but you were acting like you were just so sad, and I just don't believe that you were really so sad. I didn't buy the act at all, Joey."

"You didn't buy my act?" asks Joey incredulously.

"No, not at all." GloZell launches into a Joey Graceffa impression, waving her hands around and speaking through fake tears. "Oh, you know, this my friend..."

Joey looks like somebody went and shot his dog. "She was my friend!"

"I don't believe that," GloZell snorts. "I don't believe it at all."

He was there, blocking their way, spouting some bull about how "we can't do this." Probably would've stopped them if they hadn't outnumbered him eight to one. And then he cried and carried on and threw a fit instead of helping. Yeah, Justine and him were close before this all happened, but come on. If he really cared about the girl so damn much, why on earth did he invite her here? Why did he invite anyone here, considering there's an evil spirit running 'round? He's lived here for three weeks and counting. It's his house. He had to know.

"What is wrong with you?" Joey shouts.

"What is wrong with you?" GloZell replies.

Oli, bless his heart, is trying his best to keep the peace. "We can argue about this as much as possible and accuse everyone, but—"

"No!" GloZell jabs a finger at her former friend. "I'm just accusing him! Joey!"