Chapter 8: Deafening Silence

Eli tried the handle but it turned out that the dance studio was locked. He knocked against the door just in case Avery had locked herself in for some reason but no one opened it. He stood there for a few moments wondering what he should do. Maybe Avery had to do something and forgot to tell Eli that she wouldn't make it for their practice but the more probably scenario was that she didn't want to talk to Eli after what had happened on Friday night.

Eli sighed walking back to the changing room. He sat down on the bench, pulled his cell phone out of his bag and started typing a text to Avery.

Where are you? - Eli

He sent it and waited a few minutes for a reply. Unsurprisingly nothing came as Eli just sat and moped. They had been slowly becoming something resembling friends or at least friendly acquaintances and now it seemed like everything was over. Not only they wouldn't be friends but also them taking part in the competition was in question.

Eli leaned his back against the wall and played with his cell phone for a few more minutes hoping to hear anything from Avery. When after close to twenty minutes his phone remained silent Eli started changing back into his sweater and jeans.

He gathered his things and exited the changing room. Walking down the corridor he kept looking around in search of the familiar set of chocolate brown eyes and freckled face but the school building was mostly empty aside from a few students and teachers.

Eli exited the building and once again started typing a text.

Are you mad at me? Just let me explain everything and apologize. - Eli

He sent the text not really knowing if it was the right thing to do. After pocketing his cell phone he started walking towards the subway station hoping that Avery would eventually come around and talk to him.

----@@@@----

"You're home early." Sophia pointed out when Eli walked over to the counter to make himself some coffee in order to keep himself awake for long enough to do his homework. The dance practice was usually his boost of energy for the afternoon that would manage to keep him going for at least a few hours but now without it Eli felt heavy and sleepy.

"So are you." Eli said turning to look at the girl who was scribbling something in her notebook at the kitchen table. "Aren't you out with your friends? Or with Brad?"

"Brad's a history now." She said looking down at her notebook. The girl didn't look as cheerful as usual which worried Eli a bit. His best friend could rarely be seen without a grin plastered to her face. "I guess...I just wanted to be on my own for once."

"Should I leave then?" Eli asked jokingly.

Sophia smiled slightly. "No, of course not. We could make a movie night out of it or something." She proposed.

"No way." Eli said. "I have to do my homework."

Sophia rolled her eyes. "Always the homework."

Eli shrugged. "It is how it is."

"So...anyway, why are you home early?" Sophia asked propping her head up against her palm.

Eli sighed feeling his heart start aching at the prospect of Avery not wanting to talk to him anymore. "Avery didn't show up for our practice."

"Oh," Was all that came out of Sophia's mouth. The girl looked away, her eyes lacking their usual glow. "Is it because of me?" She asked at last still avoiding Eli's gaze. The boy opened his mouth to answer but before he could say a word Sophia cut in. "Be honest." She added.