Chapter 11: Fallen

For the first time in almost a month Avery's body was firm and yet relaxed in Eli's arms as they danced through the room. The choreography was done and now they had a few months to perfect everything. Maybe it wasn't necessary to work as hard as they did but they both were determined to win and apart from that Eli was enjoying their practices way too much to make them less frequent.

Avery was once again herself in Eli's presence and they even started jogging together again. Maybe it wasn't Eli's favorite activity in the world but he still liked trying not to fall behind while Avery gracefully made her way through the busy city. Each time Avery laughed or as much as half-smiled a bunch of butterflies seemed to be overriding his stomach but Eli wasn't reading too much into it. He was just happy to have his friend back.

"I want to make it up to you." Avery said after one of their practices when they were heading for their separate changing rooms. "For these two weeks of me being an ignorant coward."

"I'm listening." Eli said, intrigued.

"If you liked my performance so much maybe you'd like to come see another one?" She asked and Eli felt ecstasy when he saw hope evident on Avery's face.

"I'd love to." Eli said honestly, attempting to make the grin forming on his face a little bit less maniac. "You know...that friend of yours...Lottie was her name? She's awesome too." He said. "She even was trying to get me to go out with her."

"Oh," Avery let out. "And what did you say to her?"

Eli shrugged. "That I wasn't there to get a date."

Avery nodded her head. "Well, if you ever want a date then you can talk to her. She's really a great girl. A bit older than you but still great."

"I'll keep that in mind." Eli said. "So...when can I come to see you dance again?"

Avery shrugged. They stopped walking, having now to go into separate rooms. It was weird. No one else was around and they could easily change together but for some reason they didn't. "Whenever you want." The girl said. "Maybe tomorrow?"

Eli nodded his head. "Sounds great."

Avery's smile faded a bit as she spoke the next words. "You can bring Sophia if you want. But please keep her away from the alcohol if this is such a bad influence on her."

"No, I don't want to risk her doing something stupid again." Eli said feeling a little bad about not wanting to bring his best friend along. Despite that though he knew that it was probably for the better.

"Cool. See you tomorrow then." Avery said and disappeared into the changing room.

----@@@@----

"You're going with me and Finn to the movies tonight?" Sophia asked, washing the dishes in the sink while Eli was busy doing his homework at the table.

The boy shook his head even though the girl had her back turned to him so she couldn't see it. "I'm busy tonight."

At that she turned around, her eyes wide and her mouth dropped open. "Am I hearing this correctly?" She smirked. "Is Eli Patton finally making new friends? I guess it's better late than never."

"Um, actually, I'm going out with Avery." Eli said calmly, trying not to show how much he didn't want his best friend to mad at him about it.

Sophia's smile disappeared and for a fraction of a second Eli thought he could see fear hiding in her green eyes. "Oh...is this...is this a date?"

Eli shook his head. "Nah, I'm just going to see her perform again." He said.

Sophia quirked her perfectly shaped eyebrows. "Are you going to see her dancing around the pole again?"