Chapter 16: Requiting Unrequited Love

Eli really wanted to talk to Sophia about her supposed feelings for him but one quick look at the calendar reminded him that in just one week it was the girl's birthday. Not wanting to touch upon such an important subject and possibly upset her right before her big day, Eli decided to wait until after her birthday. Which meant that each time he looked at Sophia he couldn't stop wondering if Finn really was right. It didn't have to be true but it did make an awful lot of sense.

The fact that she disliked Eli's girlfriend and the fact she never had a boyfriend for longer than a few months. Her hugs always lasted a tad bit too long and she did look at Eli with love. The boy also loved her but in a completely different way. Maybe at some point in the past one certain kiss at the end of the middle school prom had awoken some kind of feelings inside of him that he had wanted to explore but it never went anywhere and after a few painfully tearful months everything had gone back to normal.

All these thoughts clouding Eli's mind resulted in him being unable to be in the same room with Sophia. Not talking to her turned out to be surprisingly easy as the girl seemed to be trying to distance herself from Eli as well. The boy hated it but for the time being it was convenient. He really hoped that Sophia in reality didn't have any romantic feelings for him as it could possibly make their friendship much more complicated. Their bond could even be broken forever and Eli didn't think he would survive that.

Sophia was his rock, she was his shoulder to cry on and his guardian angel. She had been the only one person to know about his older brother abusing him. She had held him tenderly when Eli's muscles were all bruised and painful. She had been trying to talk him into telling his parents about everything and while Eli had been too scared to do that he was still thankful for her.

So losing her meant losing a part of his heart and Eli didn't think he could survive without such a big chunk of it. And yet Eli would look for opportunities to escape the house in order to avoid accidentally blurting out her possible feelings. "I'm going over to Avery's. I will come back later." Eli said on a Saturday morning, just six days before Sophia's eighteenth birthday.

Sophia, busy with her course books looked up at him. "Oh, okay." Eli nodded at her and kept walking towards the door. "But wait a moment." She said before her best friend had a chance to even touch the handle. "I'm throwing my birthday party here on Friday. I hope you don't mind." Her green eyes were full of hope and excitement. Eli hadn't seen her like that for days.

Eli smirked raising his eyebrows. "Well, I don't mind unless I'm not invited."

Sophia rolled her eyes. "You're always invited to my parties, dummy."

Eli chuckled, happy to see his best friend seem so happy and carefree again. "In that case I look forward to it."

"I'm glad. Don't forget to buy me something amazing and preferably expensive." Sophia said with a smirk.

"Your wish is my command, ma'am." Eli said bowing.

"Okay, now go." Sophia said between laughing.

"See you later then." Eli said exiting their apartment.

As he walked down the stairs Eli started thinking that maybe Sophia wasn't in love with him after all. Maybe Finn had lied for some strange reason, probably because he was still upset about their break up. Everything would be fine after all and they would remain best friends forever.

Eli started walking down the sidewalk pulling his jacket tighter around his body. The harsh winter was quickly approaching and Eli was nowhere near ready for this. As he watched the wind blow into people's faces Eli made a mental note to talk to Sophia about her break up with Finn in order to sort everything out. After her birthday they would sit down and talk everything over once and for all.