• 56 •

I don't respond and run across the forest, trying my best to find any form of shelter. The girl groans and I stop. Her hangover. I place our weapons on the floor gently and pass her the cloth filled with strawberries. I put her down safely and she takes them gratefully. I watch as she munches on them happily, forgetting for a brief moment about the situation we were in.
     "Say, why were you running?" she asks, looking around. I remember the reason and tell her to hold on to the weapons. "What? Why?"
     I swing her on top of my shoulder and grab the food. That's when I notice a nearby neighborhood. I sigh out of relief and begin making my way towards the houses. The girl doesn't say anything until we reach the entrance of a house. I place her on the ground and pant. 
     "Why are we here?" she questions and opens the door. A walker attacks her and I fight him off, killing it. She's a damn handful.
     "Ther' was a crow' of 'em headin' our way," I respond and she shrugs.
     "Now are there any pain killers here?" she heads in to the kitchen.
     I slam the door shut with my leg and drag the couch across to keep it closed. I walk slowly upstairs and investigate every room to make sure no walkers were lurking about and so that it's safe for her. Inside each room, I find the walls painted with words in blood. They're heading this way. Do not turn around. Leave. There were walker heads hanging and stringed as decoration and I shudder. Creeped out by the areas, I decide it's best to stay downstairs. 
     "Daryl?" she yells. My heart races and I sprint down the steps. "Oh, there you are. Let's eat."
     She brings out a pot full of pasta mixed with squirrel meat and tomato sauce. I lick my lips hungrily and her eyes flicker from my chest to my face. She turns and grabs two bowls and forks for us to eat with, placing them on the table in front of us before sitting down.
     "How'd you mak' this so fast?" I ask and grab a seat.
     "Well, you were upstairs for quite a while...," she says and begins to eat. 
     "You can't go up ther'," I state firmly. I didn't want her to see what was up there.
     "Why?" she snaps, changing her attention from the pasta to me.
     "Jus' don't," I reply and scarf down my food.
     "Where are we supposed to sleep?" she says and I point to the living room. "Both of us?"
     "Why? Is that a probl'm?" I say, meeting her eyes.
     "No," her voice goes higher than usual and I smirk. "I prefer to sleep with you over Merle."
     As soon as the words left her mouth, I cough. She gives me a questioning look and I turn away, not wanting to face her. She then rises from her seat and sits on the table. I feel her legs wrap around my shoulders, forcing me to look up. She places a finger under my chin and smirks. She knows. She knows she has an effect on me. Shit.
     "Everything about you is overwhelming," she whispers in my ear. I could feel my breath hitch. "And I fucking love it."
      She then gets up, leaving me baffled and more confused than ever. I did nothing but watch as she walks in to the living room and jumps on to a nearby couch. My girl closes her eyes and my brain overflows with thoughts, causing my stomach to churn. I run a hand through my hair. It's not only you who feels that way.