Two

NADINE

8:35 am – 8:42 am

Everyone screamed after the first round of gunshots were heard. The windows in our English classroom were far too high to reach so no one even attempted to escape through it. Our teacher, Mr. Hall, locked the doors quickly. My heart was pounding hard against my chest. Another gunshot followed and I covered my ears to block out the noise.

"This isn't happening .... This isn't happening." One of my classmates said, I wasn't sure who. Then an awful thought crossed my mind. I got out under my desk and walked straight towards our teacher.

"Sir?" I asked, trying to sound as calm as possible.

"What?"

"Maine ... she's still outside." I replied. The sound of another gunshot then filled my ears, followed by a blood-curdling scream. I froze and knew right away that someone died. My knees became weak. Mr. Hall pulled me down and placed me right next to him. I looked at my classmates and saw that most of them were already crying.

Who could have done this?

"Everyone should call or text their loved ones. Tweet and inform the public what's happening in our school. But don't mention what room we're in." Mr. Hall instructed us. Most of the students nodded and brought their phones out. I turned to him with teary eyes and he gulped.

"We can't help Maine right now. It's too dangerous." He told me.

"She'll die if we don't."

"Nadine ... Please."

--

RICHARD

8:36 am – 8:44 am

The four of us called 911 at the same time. As soon as I got connected to the emergency hotline, I realized that I was at lost for words.

"Hello, 911 how can I help you?"

"I would like to report a school shooting." I answered. My voice sounded different. I didn't recognize it right away.

"In Sta. Monica High School? We already have responders on their way. Can you please stay on the line with me?"

"I'm afraid not, Ma'am."

"Okay then, what's your name?"

"Richard. Please help us, I have to go." I answered before ending the call.

"I have to go back. Nadine's still there." James said.

"My sister's in there too." Avery added.

"Maine is with Nadine, I'm pretty sure. We have to get them out safely."

"So what do you guys say?" Kim asked. He placed his bag down and stretched both of his arms and legs. We exchanged grim nods at each other and did the same. The school knew us as troublemakers. But that morning, we decided to be something else. We were going to save as many people as we can. I took a deep breath and we all ran back to school.

--

MAINE

8:41 am – 8:47 am

I locked the cubicle and stood on the toilet even though my knees were shaking. I took a deep breath and calmed myself. For the next few minutes, I didn't hear any noise, everything went quiet. But soon enough, the silence became a little too loud. I reached for the phone inside my pocket and was about to dial 911 when I heard a sound coming from the intercom again.