Three

RICHARD

8:47 am – 8:53 am

I dialed Maine's number but the line said she was busy. I ended the call and dialed her number a few more times before she picked it up.

"Maine? Babe? Tell me you're okay, please." I begged. I wanted to raid the school right away and take her out of there. Something dark fell upon us and it took everyone by surprise.

"I am," she answered and I immediately felt relief.

"Oh ... thank God."

"Where are you? Are you in your class? Barricade your doors, please." Maine told me. I gulped and looked at my friends.

"No ... I'm right outside the school. I'm with James, Avery and Kim. Where are you?"

"Girl's bathroom on the west wing." She answered.

"I'm coming to get you."

"No, don't! Richard, Tim's one of them." Maine told me in her frantic voice.

"Tim's one of what?"

"The shooters,"

My heart sank, it couldn't be. Tim was harmless. Yes, he was awkward and shy but he wasn't dangerous. The boy was sensitive but he was naturally kind. He couldn't be one of them.

"Maine, this is not the time for unfunny jokes. Stay where you are, I'm coming for you." I answered.

"Dean's here ... go to him first, he's at the library."

"I can't ... that's on the other side of the building. I have to get you first, I'm sorry. I love you." I told her before ending the call. I placed the phone inside my pocket and looked at my friends. We all nodded at each other and ran towards the wall.

--

MAINE

8:53 AM – 8:55 AM

I took a deep breath and my phone started ringing once more. I looked at the screen and saw Nadine's name. I hastily returned to the cubicle and answered her call.

"Where are you? Oh my God ... please tell me you're safe ... please." She begged. I knew right from the sound of her voice that she was crying. I closed my eyes and placed a hand on my chest to calm myself down.

"I'm still in the bathroom. I'm safe, for now. Please tell me you're fine." I said and it took her almost a minute to respond.

"I am. But I'm so scared ... who's behind this?"

"Tim's one of them." I answered, picturing the look on his face when he saw me.

"What? No ... that can't be. He's harmless."

"I thought so too." I replied and heard footsteps coming from right outside the bathroom. My eyes widened and I quickly jumped up to the toilet to prevent my feet from being seen.

"Oh God ..."

"Nadine, I have to go. I think someone's here." I whispered and ended the call. Gunshots and screams then echoed from the hallway. Each scream reminded me that someone was dying, and it was more than enough to make me feel weak and nauseous. Tom and the others broke Sta. Monica, they changed everything forever.

--

Richard

8:53 am – 9:02 am