Four

KIM

9:02 am – 9:15 am

Avery and I skittered along the walls of the east wing. Silence fell upon us once more. It got too quiet that for a solid minute or two, the only thing I could hear was my own heart pumping against my chest. We quickly made our way towards the administrative office, looking for a window we could break or any sign of possible entrances. But when we got there, everything was locked and the windows were too thick to be broken by stones. We exchanged looks and decided to move towards the cafeteria. A couple of gunshots then broke the silence, the two of us immediately hid behind a trash bin. It took us a couple of moments to realize that the gunshots came from inside the school. Avery left our hiding place first and mounted his position right in front of the cafeteria's exit door. He got down to one knee and started to pick lock the knob using a hair pin he was using to keep his curly hair off his face.

"Dude ... you better go faster than that." I told him. I looked around for any signs of movement. When I didn't see any, I turned my eyes back to my friend. Avery's hands were trembling. Beads of sweat lined the sides of his face. I never saw him so serious about something. A few hand movements later, the door opened.

"Yes finally." He whispered with a smile on his face. I took a deep breath and both of us went in. The smell of burnt food quickly greeted my nose the second we entered.

"Shit ... they trashed the place." Avery told me. I scanned our surroundings and saw the mess left behind by the shooters. Aside from the tables, plates, cooked food and utensils that have scattered around; two dead bodies can also been in the serving area. It looked like a fatal food fight just happened inside the cafeteria.

"Oh my god," that was all I could say.

"Kim? We have to do this faster."

--

NADINE

9:02 am – 9:15 am

No one dared to move. Jonah closed the door and scanned the room. My heart was pounding hard against my chest. Jonah and I were childhood best friends. We literally grew up as neighbors on the south side part of Santa Monica. He was kind, caring and gentle. But as the years went by, things have changed. He became jealous and possessive of me. But despite those nasty traits, I thought he was harmless. That is until I saw his reaction when he found out I started going out with James. He became disrespectful and a bit violent, and so I decided to avoid him. Since then, Jonah calmed down and stayed away from me too. Well, until today.

"Hello, classmates. Did you miss me?" he asked in a very jolly tone. I turned to Mr. Ramirez and heard him a sharp intake of breath.

"Mr. Ramirez ... hi ... sorry,, I didn't bother to do my assignment today." Jonah told him. I could hear my heart pumping against my chest. I looked up at our teacher and saw the terror or on his face.

"You don't have to do this, Jonah. Please." He begged.

"Actually, I do." Jonah answered. And before Mr. Ramirez could say another word, he already got shot on the chest. Panic ensued afterwards. The loud gunshot caused our classmates to scream at the top of their lungs. They huddled towards the back of the classroom, putting as much distance as they could get from Jonah. Mr. Ramirez's body fell with a thud and blood started coming out of his wound. I placed a finger on my forehead and felt the hot liquid dripping down from hair. It was his blood.

"Well ... that was fun. Now, where's Nadine?"

My heart sank. I looked at the faces of my classmates. Some of their eyes were staring at me. I inhaled some tensed air and showed myself before he could hurt anyone of them.