22 | Choice

"Ready, Nik?" Lexi whispers from her spot behind the tomb. She can hear Rebekah with Esther near the alter, Kol next to Esther. Her mind had brought back an image of when Hope had almost died, but Lexi had been strong enough to ignore it.

Lexi is so focused on her family that she doesn't notice the presence behind her. A large hand grabs her shoulder.

She reacts instantly, grabbing the wrist and pinning the attacker against the wall, fangs bared. Derek stares at her, not the least bit afraid. She lets her fangs slip back. "What are you doing here?" She asks, letting him go.

"Well, I couldn't let you go by yourselves, now could I?" Derek retorts. He pulls at his leather jacket, adjusting it.

Lexi is so nervous about Rebekah that she almost doesn't care that he is here. Putting himself in danger. For her family. Again.

"Fine."

She peaks around the tomb and her entire body tenses. Derek watches her closely as she turns back, letting her head fall against the tomb. "What's wrong?"

"She has the stake," Lexi breathes, looking into his eyes. He almost flinches when he sees the fear in her eyes. "The white oak stake."

"What the bloody hell is that for?" Rebekah's voice goes up an octave.

"As each of you come to your senses and takes my offer, I will destroy your vampire bodies," Esther's voice is calm. Collected. Almost smug.

"Mother," Kol sounds anxious. "You said you wanted the stake to protect them."

"Yes, but not in their current bodies. Once they accept my offer, I will be righting two wrongs." Esther lets out a laugh, chilling Lexi to the bone.

"No," Rebekah breathes.

"Having brought this evil into the world then having subjected my own children to it," Esther clicks her tongue.

"Whatever you do," Lexi doesn't let her voice rise above a whisper as she turns to Derek. "Do not let her see you. No matter what."

He nods, his eyes showing his concern. It makes her want to vomit.

"No, that wasn't the deal. Stop the spell!" Rebekah orders.

"The spell is already done." Derek listens as Lexi's heartbeat rises in anger at her mother's voice. "I prepared it to be locked in the moment I turned over the hourglass."

"Mother, think this through," Rebekah practically begs. "You gave birth to this body, you can't destroy it!"

"I am only destroying its flesh. Your beautiful soul will live on in the body of another." Esther's cooing only makes Lexi's eyes flare blue. "I have chosen well for you. A beautiful girl. Strong."

Esther doesn't get to finish her boasting as Lexi stomps out from her hiding spot. "Esther!" She shouts, barely noticing Klaus emerge next to her. "Stop the spell!"

"You and your traitorous son," Klaus growls, glaring at Kol.

"Lexi, I didn't know anything about it, I swear," Kol begs, only caring about her.

"Oh, good. I'm glad you all are friends again." Esther deadpans. "I did wonder what you'd been up to when you snuck away, thinking I didn't know."

Kol goes completely white.

"Now, I know."

"Stop the blasted spell!" Klaus yells.

"I'm afraid that's impossible," Esther sighs, shaking her head in pity.