thirteen.

EXIT WOUNDS.
013. | ❛ he's gone, isn't he?

MILA WAS UNPACKING THE SMALL STUFF SHE HAD IN HER APARTMENT INTO THE AVENGERS TOWER. SINCE TAKING UP BRUCE'S OFFER, IT WAS CONVENIENT FOR HER TO MOVE IN. Thankfully it took her mind off of what the Avengers were fighting over in Sokovia. Every now and then, she had a very bad premonition that would make her hands sweat and her heart pound faster. She hoped that they all came back in one piece because she couldn't imagine how the team would survive without one of their members. They were truly a family and that's what made it so welcoming to Mila. That she had found a second home.

She was sure that she found that here with them, and wholeheartedly wanted to be immersed into their lives and organization. Alongside her new scientists and heroes, she could feel that her powers were no longer burdens that weighed her down. The necklace contained the worst part of herself, and Mila could be free and herself without having to fear Oz coming out.

Her fingers twisted around the necklace's snowflake shaped, thinking about the man who had created it and whom she was waiting to return. With her eyes closed, she relived their last moments together before Bruce had to go fight. The kiss that had joined them together and erased all their wounds at once, leaving no room for the last but for the future. He had promised that he'd come back. He had promised her, and she knew that his word would be true. He'd come back to her and they'd be together.

A knock at the doorway with a throat clearing attracted Mila's attention to the super soldier who stood at her door.

She walked over to Steve and launched herself into his arms. A sign of relief exhaled from her body at the sight of him being okay, it signified for her that they had come back. That Bruce had come back to her.

Upon examining Steve's face,
Mila saw a small expression of happiness but a majority of it being a strong hold face of bad news. She knew that face and memorized it well from previous experiences. She was preparing herself for the worst since it had become apparent that she wasn't meant to be happy. They weren't meant to be happy.

With a sad smile saying what Steve didn't, "He's gone, isn't he?"

Steve gulped before expressing a silent yes, of which Mila shook her head to herself and held back her tears.

"What happened?" She prepared herself by sitting down on the bed, waiting to hear the words come out of Steve's mouth.

"Banner left. He's somewhere but we don't know where he is. He's gone." Steve concluded that left Mila breath out in happiness that he hadn't died, but still had left a hole in her heart because Bruce meant everything to her. He helped Mila control herself. He had saved her from death. He had done millions of things for her that she had lost count. And now he was gone.

She couldn't stop the tears from falling down nor did it stop Steve from hugging her as she cried. Mila hurt inside and out, and she knew that she wasn't strong enough without Bruce to continue with the plan that had set in motion. She wasn't equipped to be an Avenger without him by her side to show her the tricks, and help her out.

"What's going to happen to me?" Mila asked him, and she could see the small smile on his face when she made the comment. She didn't know whether to trust Steve's smile, it was full of promises but she didn't want another person she trusted to break them.

"Nothing is going to happen to you. Banner made a promise to you about joining the Avengers and I intend on fulfilling it for him." Steve said that rose Mila's spirit slightly. "You have so much potential, Mila. And you would make a get addition to the team and a very powerful asset."

Mila shook her head, "I don't want to be a burden, Steve. I don't want to be around because your good guy side wants to please the promise that Bruce made me. If you guys don't want me, then I'll get out of your hairs."

She stood up to leave but Steve caught onto her wrist, "Mila, we need some new recruits. I'm an honest guy and I wouldn't be here asking you to join the Avengers if I didn't think you were worthy of it."

Mila kept her lips in a thin line, thinking of everything that has had happened in the course of a few days and even years. She was led her to find Bruce and to find a cure. The cure didn't exist but it did to her because Bruce Banner was that cure to her powers. Someone with a scared side like her, was the one to tame her demons. But she didn't know whether to take the risk of jumping into it without him, without the person that made her stronger without realizing it. She didn't know whether she'd be strong or weaker by herself, and she was scared of that. Much lien she was scared all those years ago when she had discovered her powers. But fear is what stopped her then, and it wasn't going to stop her now.

Mila looked to Steve with a smile on her face and graciously said, "Avengers assemble."