Chapter 7 Frienemies

The fest of the college was approaching and the classes got reduced. Along with Krishna, Devina, Kaveri, Diksha she often visited the canteen, often gossiped with them for hours. It was on one such day that Swati, her friend from another section came and accused her of telling the secret of her crush on Devda to him....
"Rita, I thought you are a close friend of mine but you showed your true colours soon.. "
"But what have I done? "
"Can you disagree that you hadn't said Devda of me having a crush on him? "
"I just made a story, I wasn't aware of it. And if it is so then I have helped...."
"Better you don't utter any more lies!" Swati shouted.
Rita made the story for her own benefit but was unaware of such happenings. She tried to explain Swati but in vain. Smita added fuel to the fire and Swati left Rita without hearing her words. Rita could have begged forgiveness but she never said sorry to anyone and preferred to loose friends than her ego....
The fest started. Rita came their merrily expecting some happiness. In the second day of the fest there was a contest in which only the best girls were selected. Rita was expecting her selection as she felt she was perfect in her own way. "I know I will be selected. A woman with a beautiful heart is beautiful not with a beautiful face is beautiful," she thought. But as luck would have been, Smita who was often described as the goddess of Beauty was selected...

Rita was heartbroken and she could not further tolerate Smita anymore. She was jealous of her, or did she start hating her? Though nothing was visible from outside the rift had been created by then. Their friendship started losing its base, though none was aware of it....