chapter 8

I wake up horribly early the next day. I hate the early shifts but it's not fair on Mags for her to do them all.

I text Mike to check he's up too.

me - you awake yet lazy bones?

Mike - you going to give me the gossip?

me - no!

Mike - then I'm not awake :)

me - move it!

I get dressed and hear my phone bleep again! Bloody Mike.

I see an unfamiliar number and quickly read the message

???? - I dreamed about you last night :)

me - I hope u enjoyed it. who is this BTW?

???? - Tony, sorry. I made Mike give me your number :)

I quickly save his number as Tony and text back

me - hope the dream didn't give u nightmares

Tony - why would it? kissing you didn't

I blush bright red. Surely there's a cure for constant blushing!

I grab my bag and head out to my car. The drive to work at this hour shouldn't take long and I'm opening up so have to be there before Mike.

He actually beat me there! He must be eager for the gossip I laugh to myself!

"Hey Mike. Was there an earthquake at yours or something?"

"Well the earth moved for someone in the house last night" he grins.

"Did it indeed" I laugh.

"Tell me what put that smile on Tony's face already!" he shouts.

"Shh, you'll wake everyone" I mutter, pushing him inside.

I send him to put the kettle on, glad I got decaffeinated coffee for him!

I get the tills ready and open up as he brings through the coffees.

"Spill" he says.

"The coffee?"

"No, not the coffee."

"Um, we kissed."

"And?"

"And he's picking us up later?"

"Yeah, I knew that bit" he says.

"What else do you want to know?" I say. I've started seeing Mike as an older brother and I'm not sure I would tell an older brother about me kissing one of his best friends.

"He came in with the biggest smile after he left yours" Mike informs me. "I told ya he thought you were pretty."

"Me? Nah, I'm just me."

"Stop putting yourself down! I'm not telling you again" he threatens.

"I can't help it. Back in Wales I was that 'weirdo emo kid' or so I was told more often than not. People here are so much less judgmental."

"Not always. Vic was bullied in school because of his voice and height and Tony has told us he was too because he had bad depression after his dad died."

"Oh, that's awful" I say, shaking my head sadly. "Why are there so many cruel idiots around?" I wonder out loud.

Mags has come in to take over from us a little early. We both decide to go down to the beach while we wait for Tony.

Mike sees one of my bracelets. It says S.O.P.H.I.E.

"Have you ever heard of Sophie Lancaster?" I ask Mike.

"No, I dont think so" he replies.

"She was a goth who was murdered for daring to be different. It was a few years ago. Her and her boyfriend were followed into a park by a gang of teenagers and they started attacking him. Sophie went to defend him and ended up so badly hurt when the ambulance came they didn't know if she was male or female. It frightened me so much as I dressed a lot more gothic back then and it sickens me now that some people can be so vile. S.O.P.H.I.E stands for  stamp out prejudice, hatred and intolerance everywhere." I tell Mike.

Mike sees how upset I am and pulls me in for a hug.

(true story by the way - google it if you want more details and to see how beautiful Sophie Lancaster was x)