𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

"Can I ask you a question?" 

Her eyes didn't even flicker up to Candice, who sat at her desk. Her bright red heels were perched at the corner of Isabel's white desk, as she flickered through a book in her head. Three she had previously read ended in the bin, but Isabel noticed she hadn't managed to put this one down. 

"You just did," the brunette hummed, pushing Candice's feet off her desk, before her eyes adverted back to her laptop. 

"Funny," the older woman responded, placing her feet back on the desk. A small grin was on her face, as she finally put down the book in her head. Her bright blue eyes stared at Isabel, taking in her features. 

Candice always thought Isabel was rather pretty, with her soft brown almost caramel coloured hair. It was long when she first started here, but she recently cut it shorter. Then there was her brown eyes, they were dark and slight inset but bright and filled with mischief. Isabel wasn't overly tall, standing around five foot four or five, Candice was never sure. She wasn't super thin nor was she large, she had curves though even Candice could see the outline of muscles forming. 

Her skin was rather pale, and she held a few acne scars around her cheeks. A small thin gold nose ring, accompanied by four piercings in one ear and three in the other. No tattoos, not that Candice or anyone knew about. No Isabel, only had one tattoo and that was far from view. 

"Why did you come to Liverpool? Like leave your jobs and basically London behind?" 

The innocent question had caught Isabel off guard, as she stared at her laptop screen. Her fingers resting on the keys, as she gulped a little. Her brown eyes lifting to look up at the older woman, who was not staring at Isabel. 

"Wanted a fresh start, something new and different." 

Her answer was short and rather dismissive, but Candice was a woman who wanted to know more. She didn't want Isabel to feel uncomfortable, after all ever since having Isabel work for them, Vance Publications had major growth. She was friendly and warm to everyone, and though everyone liked Isabel. It was no secret they were all curious about her past. A past she had managed to keep on the downside. 

Candice being Richard's assistant, had access to Isabel's files. She knew about Isabel, for she was the one who often sent applicants to Richard to look at. She remembered seeing Isabel's application come through, and was thoroughly impressed, especially since Isabel was after all only twenty one at the time, and now she was twenty four. 

"Isabel you worked for Styles Industries and Kingston Public Relations. Two major companies and you just left to come work for Vance Publications. Come on, there must have been a better reason than, wanting something new," Candice pressed, as Isabel finally lifted her head to meet those striking blue eyes. 

She didn't let her mind wonder to the past, even when Candice mentioned his name. Isabel refused to look back, because looking back only made her slow down. She didn't want to slow down, she didn't want to think of her past. Isabel wanted to look at her future, a safe and friendly future. 

"I had a rough break up, had enough of London. Yes I loved working for Kingston Public Relations, but I just needed a change," Isabel spoke. It wasn't truly a lie, in fact it was the truth just it missed a few details. 

Isabel did have a rough break up, if the term of break up, meant her literally running away. London was big, but not big enough to fully escape him. So she completely left. And it wasn't a lie as such, she did love working for Kingston, but she was always ambitions and never settled. Eventually she would have moved on. 

"Aha, that's fair enough," Candice spoke finally dropping the topic. She could sense that the younger female had only grown a little more conscious about the topic of discussion. Though she was never one to shy away, this was one thing she didn't want to talk about.