fifty ✽ our first exchange

Corbyn Besson

idea credited to @Unicornlandia56

My boyfriend sure as heck knows how much I love ice cream. That's why he drove to my house at two o'clock in the morning on a Wednesday night upon my request.

I insisted on walking to the McDonalds which is on the other side of my subdivision, so that's why we're stomping down the street as if the time of the morning doesn't apply to our lives at all instead of driving in a car.

Right now as I watch the blonde-haired boy dance to the music blasting from the playlist on his phone, I decide walking was the best decision that could've been made.

I choke on a mouthful of ice cream when Corbyn throws his right leg up in the air for a split second before slamming it back down on the asphalt as his left arm shoots straight out from his body when the chorus of the song drops. I try to roll my eyes at his whip, but am laughing too hard.

"That was cute," I chuckle sarcastically.

He looks back at me with the biggest grin on his face, the moonlight casting beautiful shadows on his figure.

"Thank you, miss," he says in the weirdest voice I've ever heard come out of his mouth.

He bounds over to me and I spiral into another fit of laughter when he picks me up awkwardly and spins me around in the middle of the road. I don't know how he manages to do it since he's holding an ice cream cone and his phone, but he does, and I'm squealing with giddiness by the time he sets me down again.

We arrive at my house all too soon.

It's dark and late and I feel like I'm on a high of happiness. I can't help but stare at the boy I've been dating for a month as we climb the stairs of my front porch.

All of the beautiful, hilarious, priceless moments of this night flash through my mind in an instant... and that's when I realize that I am hopelessly in love with him.

We stop, standing across from each other at my front door.

My unbroken trance in him must be obvious because an adorable, confused look comes over his face as he watches mine.

"What?" he asks.

My heart begins to pound.

Do it. Say it. Do it!

I take a silent deep breath, and for the very first time I whisper, "I love you."

Hours later, I still haven't slept because I can't stop thinking about how he didn't say it back.

***

I stare at my reflection in my bathroom mirror. I've run out of tears. I've run out of thoughts. I feel nothing but emptiness now.

With a small huff of breath leaving my mouth, I turn off the lights and go downstairs, heading to my best friend's house to tell her what happened in the early hours of this morning.

I keep my eyes trained on the floorboards as I exit the front door and walk off the porch. That must be why I don't see Corbyn's car pulling into my driveway until I'm walking down the sidewalk to reach my own vehicle.

I reach the end of the sidewalk that meets the cement driveway just as he parks. I keep my eyes down, refusing to let the tears that so badly want to build up behind my eyes show.

"(y/n)!"

His car door slams shut.

He rejected you.

My car is seven feet away.

His running footsteps advance towards me.

Three feet.

I hear the breaths escaping his mouth.

My shaking hand reaches for the door handle-

Corbyn slides between my body and the car and holds my arms in a desperate grip in one motion.

I try to pull away, but he shakes me slightly and looks straight into my eyes.

"I love you," he says in a rush.

I stop struggling. My mouth drops open just slightly.

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you."

Every single time, he's says it firmly, never breaking eye contact with me, never letting me believe anything different than just that.

"I messed up," he starts. "I'm so blessed to be able to call you mine and ever since we started dating, I've been so afraid that I'll do something stupid and mess what we have up, so I've been cautious all the time. When you... when you said that last night, I wasn't prepared and my mind flipped out. (y/n/n), please. I've wanted to say it since I met you, but I've always been so afraid. All I've been thinking about for hours is that you may think I don't love you. I do. I do, with all my heart."

No amount of words that I can come up with can express what his words just made me feel.

I wrap my arms around his waist slowly and he responds by holding me to his chest tightly.

"Can we try again?" he says quietly, after several moments of silence.

"Hmm?" I hum, not understanding what he means.

"I love you," he says.

A gentle smile tugs at my lips.

"I love you too."

And that was our first exchange.