Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Tony made it into the office, and where he sat was still empty. They obviously were still out on a case. Tony hated the fact that Stan was with them. He was quiet, good, and by the book. Stan Burley was the complete opposite of him. He made his way up to see Jenny, and afterwards he would then go down and see Abby and Palmer.

'Hey Jenny.' Tony grinned as he walked into her office. He knew that she would want to know straight away how the appointment went.

'How did things go with Dr Pitt?' Jenny asked. She wanted to go and remind the rest of the team how scarred his lungs were when he was infected with y-pestis. Then, she was going to find out why they thought it was a brilliant idea to send him out in this kind of weather.

'I have strong antibiotics, he has taken urine and blood samples, and tomorrow morning I have a chest x-ray appointment.' Tony shrugged his shoulders.

'Ok, I told Gibbs that you were running an errand for me. I know you didn't want them to know about this, so I covered for you. I'll do the same for tomorrow. I do think that you should tell them. A lot has happened and what happened to your lungs happened a long time ago.'

'Thanks Jenny I do appreciate that, but I don't want them to believe that I'm a liability. With the antibiotics, I'll be fine.' Tony turned to head out of the office.

'Tony, you have to be careful, with how scarred your lungs catching anything could end up life threatening for you.' She reminded him.

'I know, and I promise. I am just going to go and see Abby and Jimmy and they will be watching me like hawks.' Tony grinned at her. 'Thank you for caring Jenny.'

Jenny smiled, as he left as soon as the door closed it vanished. Later she would talk to Abby and Jimmy to make sure that he did tell them. She was going to make sure that they all took care of him. Tony would do anything to make Gibbs happy, and she guessed that he loved the older man, just like she did a long time ago. Those feelings never entirely go away. She and the others just had to make sure that Tony didn't do anything stupid.

XXXXX

Tony and Abby were both heading back up to see if Gibbs and the team were back. The elevator opened, and the two friends walked out. Tony sighed as he saw Stan Burley at his desk.

'Tony was really insufferable when you weren't here Gibbs.' Ziva said.

Abby and Tony moved behind the wall so they couldn't be seen.

'He wasn't you Gibbs, no matter how he tried to be.' McGee added.

'Maybe I can come back and be your SFA boss, we worked well together.' Stan replied as he smiled at Gibbs.

'Tony only became our team leader because you left. You obviously only gave him the job because there was no one else. He didn't deserve to be our team leader anyway.' McGee explained and watched as Ziva and Stan agreed.

Abby and Tony quickly rushed to the stairs and snuck out. They someone how managed to do that without anyone noticing them.

Gibbs looked up and stared at them. He hadn't given Tony the job because he was convenient. What had happened while he was away?

Abby turned and looked at Tony; she then pulled him into a hug. 'They don't mean it Tony, it's just that Gibbs is back, and they want to get his attention. Using you seems to be the easiest way. They do care about you.'

Tony wrapped his arms around Abby. 'I sometimes wonder Abby. Do they? Is this job really worth the hassle?'

Abby knew after hearing those comments that there wasn't anything she could say.

XXXXX

Abby and Tony waited for a little bit and then walked back through the doors. Tony pasted on his biggest grin and held out his arm to Abby. She shook her head but took it anyway. They walked over to his desk and stared at Burley until he eventually moved.

'Did you complete the errand for the director DiNozzo?' Gibbs asked his voice full of suspicion.

'Special Agent DiNozzo, I need you to run another errand for me tomorrow morning.' Jenny said over the railing before turning and going back to her office.

'Is there something you want to tell me DiNozzo?' Gibbs asked.

'No boss, why?'

Gibbs turned and looked up to the place where Jenny had just been standing. 'Just wondering what happened while I was away?'

Tony sighed. 'Did you honestly think things would remain the same?' He was tired after spending all night coughing, and his chest hurt. He didn't want to use the inhaler he was given. That was because everyone would assume that he was asking for sympathy, and yes he had done that, but not now. Then of course those earlier comments were still on his mind. 'As much as everyone kept reminding me, I'm not you and did things my own way.' With that Tony sat at his desk and logged himself in.

McGee and Ziva looked at each other not sure what they should or could say.

Gibbs stood and walked over to Tony's desk. 'Tony, everything ok?'

'Why wouldn't it be?' Tony replied briefly.

Gibbs opened his mouth, but had no idea what to say.

Tony knew he was snapping at people, but even he could be pushed so far, and now Burley was back. The perfect senior field agent.

The day seemed to drag on, Tony was doing his own paperwork while with this new case, Burley was acting as the SFA.

The elevator opened and in walked Palmer, it was an update on some information Tony had asked for from an old case.

Tony's snappish mood was soon forgotten, and the others were laughing and joking again. Now, and then they would make little comments about how great Stan was. Gibbs just sat there and watched them, and then would turn his gaze onto Tony.

'Tony, we need this man interviewed we are all up to our necks at the moment. Could you go and talk to him?' Stan asked.

Palmer stopped and waited to see what Tony was going to say.

'When did you become my boss?' Tony asked. 'Do I look like I'm not busy?' He waved at his desk, and all the paperwork covering it.

'You're probably playing games.' McGee chuckled.

'Fine.' Tony went to log off.

'No, Tony you can't. Have you seen the torrential rain outside?' Palmer argued and glared at his friend.

'It is only rain Palmer, Tony will be fine?' Burley patted the young man's shoulder.

Palmer knocked the hand of his shoulder. 'Really, out of all of you Tony should be the one going out there. He's not the one with scarred lungs after getting Y-Pestis, oh wait a minute yes he is? Are you actually trying to kill him? Why don't you use a gun instead? That would be much quicker.'

Tony, Gibbs, McGee, Ziva and Stan all turned to look at Palmer with shocked expressions.

TBC