Chapter 7

Gibbs simply stared at Vance, did he need his old group back. It wouldn't be his old group as DiNozzo wouldn't be his SFA. Issues arose as soon as Burley took his place.

'No, I don't.' He responded. 'It's not working without DiNozzo. People always said that he saved the rest of the team from my wrath. It's now become clear he saved me from their whining.'

Vance smirked. 'I thought that might be the case.'

'Why?'

'You didn't fight to keep them, in Shepperd's report, the only one you did that for was DiNozzo.' He paused for a moment. 'I'm sorry about what happened to her. I know you two had a history.'

'She went out fighting. Jenny wasn't the type to sit around as her body and mind fails.'

The Director smiled regrettably. 'That's true. There are a few things I would like to discuss.'

'And they are?' Gibbs eyed him dis-trustingly.

'I will start another main MCRT, we are getting more and more cases. They will cover an overflow from your team, and they will be on the opposite schedule of you. Balboa's team are good, but they cover other areas.'

'Who will run the other team?'

'Abigail Borin, she has joined us from CGIS.'

'Yeah, I know her, we've worked cases together before. She's good.'

'She's spent the last few months training. So about your new team you'll need a new SFA; Chad Dunham's been in contact. He wants to be transferred back to Washington. Would you consider him?'

'I know him and we haven't had a problem. We can give it a go. Since he's an experienced agent, I'd like to pick some new recruits for the rest of my team. They'll have less bad habits I need to break them off.'

Vance nodded. 'Okay, we can do that. How about you pick your new recruits and they can be the first one's Agent DiNozzo trains. He knows how you work. We can also send Agent Dunham to him as well to get a rundown on what you want from your SFA?'

'Sounds good, what about now, though, or after we have dealt with the Lee thing?'

'Well, Agent Dunham can join you now. We'll get him up to date with our suspicions. Will you be okay with Keating and Burley until your team is up to speed?'

He closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. 'If I have to be.' Gibbs finally opened them. 'Make it clear to him it's not my choice and is temporary. I don't want him to believe that there is anything personal between us.'

'I'll do that. The sooner you pick your recruits, the quicker we can get them to DiNozzo for training. Bring him in on the Lee thing unofficially. We could use his investigative skills. With the two of you seeing each other you can discuss and talk things over at home. We want no one to know that he is helping us in that capacity.'

'I'll talk to Tony tonight. Have fun breaking the news to McGee, he will not be happy.'

'McGee can be unhappy as he likes. He doesn't get to pick where he works. If he doesn't like it, he can leave.' Vance replied succinctly. 'Get going, deal with Lee and Svetlana.'

'Yeah, yeah.' Gibbs muttered as he walked away.

'Cynthia will send files down of possible recruits for you to look at.'

'Thanks.'

Vance shook his head and smiled as Gibbs closed his office door. It seemed when DiNozzo left the team a lot changed. He didn't even want to think about the two of them in a romantic relationship, but if anyone could put up with that grouchy bastard it would be Tony.