Chapter 3

Chapter Three

'It's ok Palmer.' Tony smiled at his friend.

'No, it's not Tony. You were sent out yesterday and got soaking wet. We can all hear you coughing, and yet they still want you to go back out again.' Palmer turned and looked at the others. His eyes went to Gibbs. 'I thought you all cared about him, but the way you are treating him has been disgusting. You act as if he were a lousy team leader. Yet, the solve rate remained the same, even though Tim refused to do work of an SFA.' Palmer looked at McGee. 'Who else would do the work if you didn't? Ziva, you could barely make it in on time.'

'It wasn't like that boss?' Tim stuttered looking uncomfortable.

'No it wasn't.' Ziva repeated glaring at Palmer.

Gibbs phone went; he looked at his team shook his head and moved to pick up the phone.

'Gibbs, yeah we're on it. Let's go people, we have another body.' Gibbs looked at Tony. 'Burley knows this case Tony.'

'It's fine, I still have some paperwork to do.' Tony replied sadly. He watched as they all walked to the elevator laughing, all except Gibbs. When they were in the elevator Gibbs turned and just looked at DiNozzo.

'I'm sorry Tony, but I couldn't let them send you back out there. You were lucky I didn't tell them about your visit with Dr Pitt.' Jimmy looked down at his shoes.

'I appreciate that you were trying to help me. It's nice to know someone cares, or a few people care.' Tony smiled at him, and then got back to work.

Jimmy stared at his friend for a moment longer, sighed and headed back to the elevator. He would go and talk to Abby. They obviously needed to keep a closer eye on Tony.

XXXXX

Abby was thrilled when Tim left the forensics lab. If she heard one more time how Gibbs had taken him under his wing, and was training him she was going to strangle him. Tim seemed to think that maybe he would get promoted, and get Tony's position. He hadn't even thought about where Tony would be. She cared a lot about McGee, but he could be selfish. Just look at the books he wrote, he used them as characters, he never asked permission and never even offered any money to thank them. Tim was lucky that they all didn't take him to court and sue him for everything he had, and now this.

Abby heard the elevator bing, and she turned as Gibbs walked in.

'Hey Abs, what you got?' Gibbs handed over a caf-pow.

'Gibbs! Gibbs! Gibbs! Gibbs, your new golden boy McGee, he was wrong.' Abby pointed to her screen.

'He's not my golden boy Abs.' Gibbs sighed.

'What, you mean you've haven't been training him on cases since you came back? Which is Tony's job. So, you either want Tim as your new SFA, which is what he, thinks, or you don't trust Tony? Either way you've both been treating him like crap.'

Gibbs turned and glared at her. 'I thought you and McGee were close. I thought you would be delighted if he were promoted.'

'I do want Tim to do well, but not at the expense of Tony.' Abby crossed her arms over her chest and glared back.

'Abby, can we please get back to the case now.'

'Fine.' Abby replied abruptly and turned back to the screen.

XXXXX

'Thanks for looking at this for me Ducky. I'm just checking out some leads. You know how much I love these cold cases.'

'With cold cases Jethro would.....'

'Please don't, I have been told so many times that I am not Gibbs that Gibbs would have done something different, and I'm tired of it.' Just then Tony started to cough badly.

Ducky turned to look at him concern written clearly in his features. When Tony stopped the older man reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. That was when they heard the elevator return.

xxxxx

'We're glad to have you back Gibbs, McGee, and I both agree that Tony should have been replaced by someone more experienced. It was obvious when you left you only gave the job to Tony until the director could find someone better. I tried to talk to her about it, but she never did listen to me.'

Gibbs turned to look at her. He hated the fact that they all had jumped to the conclusion that Tony was only picked because there was no one else. He opened his mouth to correct her, when the door to autopsy opened, and there was Tony.

'I'm sorry my boy.' Ducky whispered, now realising what young Mr Palmer had been trying to tell him.

'Thanks Ducky.' Tony grabbed the file from Ducky and walked passed them into the elevator. They watched as the doors closed and he disappeared from sight.

Ducky hated seeing that sad and lost look in Tony's eyes. 'Jethro..'

'Not now Duck, we have two more bodies. I'll deal with it and soon.'

'Very well.' Ducky turned and looked at Ziva who hid her face in embarrassment.

XXXXX

The elevator opened, and Tony walked out.

'There you are Agent DiNozzo; the Director Shepard would like to speak to you.' Cynthia smiled at him.

'Thank you Cynthia, I'll just put this on my desk, and I'll be right there.'

Cynthia nodded and walked away.

XXXXX

Jenny stood up as soon as the door opened, and Tony walked in.

'You wanted to see me Jenny.'

'Yes I did Tony, something has just come up.' She paused for a moment. 'I know you are having a few problems at the moment. You're job as team leader has been exemplary, no matter what anyone says. It's a team leader role; it's in Rota, Spain. I'd like to offer it to you.'

TBC